Heat water with wood using my wood stove?

Old 03-06-11, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat water with wood using my wood stove?

Hi,

I have a wood stove. I'd like to have a way to heat my water. Does anyone have any suggestions on setting up something to heat my water using my wood stove? I found one site that showed where you'd replace the duct that would go out to your furnace vents with a pipe that would have some coils that would heat the water from the heat that would heat the house. But my wood stove doesn't have any duct work coming out of it, so that wouldn't work.

Thank You,

David Orlow

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-11, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I find that a saucepan on top of the wood stove heats 100% of the hot water I use while the stove is fired up.

Personally, I wouldn't start cutting into a good stove, and I've never been motivated to cu into my 24 year old stove.

When the wood stove isn't fired up, I heat water on my gas range.

The water heater hasn't been fired up in YEARS.

The water comes from my rain barrels!

Seattle Pioneer

Old 03-06-11, 06:36 PM
I think he is talking about heating his domestic hot water and not having to lug pots of hot water around. My uncle had a set up on his stove where he ran a coiled in his ash pan I think to help heat the water in his boiler. It did not work well. The biggest issues is that the water is constantly being heated so you would always have to be circulating and putting out heat. If he did not do this the water would steam in the tubes under the stove and he also had trouble keeping the boiler temp too. A boiler shuts down when it reaches temp a wood stove does not. He blew his relief valve quite a few times because the water would get too hot. That and running the circulator 24/7 made for a hot house when it was not below 10 degrees. Heating domestic hot water would be even harder to regulate. He had a home made set up and was not a plumber so there may be options.

Old 03-07-11, 12:25 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
The only safe way is in a big open kettle. Using a closed system is akin to making a time bomb.