Becket AFG!?!

Old 03-09-11, 02:03 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Becket AFG!?!

ok guys im having a problem with my oil heater(no heat)!! My oil burner isnt getting oil to thru the line fully i checked outside couplings for leak nothin,changed filters, nozzles & blew lines out with air compressor got sludge out still no avail i tried to bleed it i get some oil but nothin to keep flame lit im thinking either leak in oil line or bad pump leaning more towards oil line(old) is there a way to check for leak in oil line? or a way to check the pressure of the pump and what tool do i need to do that?Maybe if i adjust oil pressure not sure im stumped any ideas??

Old 03-09-11, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Disconnect the small (3/16") line which goes from the pump to the nozzle assembly, direct it into a suitable container, & start the burner. Do you get flow? If not right away, allow the burner to run until the safety locks out or you do get flow, whichever comes first.

Pictures of the burner would be helpful. Post them on photobucket.com or similar site & provide a link to the album here.

Old 03-09-11, 04:05 PM
O
ok so i changed the oil line and tried to bleed it still not getting steady flow the flame goes out and oil line sputters im so frustrated now im thinking maybe the pump is bad or something in that area. i did open the 3/16 line and tried to bleed it nothing came out is that the pump??

Old 03-09-11, 04:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you saying you don't get a steady, air free flow out of the bleeder?

Old 03-09-11, 04:23 PM
O
no steady flow i bleed the bleeder port and oil comes out but not steady bubbles and then sometimes it sputters and nothing comes out then locks out and im no getting anything from the 3/16 line to the nozzle maybe the pump is clogged??

Old 03-09-11, 04:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are not getting a steady flow out of the bleeder, the problem is most likely upstream of the pump. If the pump is gravity fed, you have a restriction in the fuel system somewhere. It could be the pump screen but not real likely. Shut off the oil somewhere upstream of the pump, disconnect the line from the pump inlet, direct the line into a bucket, & turn the fuel back on. If you have good flow, the screen is probably clogged.

Old 03-09-11, 04:42 PM
O
i checked the pump screen last night it looked pretty clean only a tiny bit of dirt i cleaned it out and put it back dont think its that

Old 03-09-11, 04:59 PM
O
the oil line comes from under the house not gravity fed i was also thinking maybe oil filter housing may be bad or a leak in a coupling to the oil filter i dunno

Old 03-09-11, 05:18 PM
W
Hello outsidethebox & Grady;
Not trying to jump ahead but just thought I would mention one thing. From the threads I am reading it sounds like you possibly may have a sleeve coupling slipping. This is a plastic or fiber sleeve that connects the motor shaft to the pump. Sometimes after many hours of running the sleeve will woller out either on the pump shaft side or the motor side. You would have to take off the pump very carefully usually has 2 3/8 hex head screws holding it onto the frame. Turn off furnace power first, then take pump off and you will see the connector sleeve that will either stay in the housing on the motor shaft or come out with the pump. If it stays on the motor shaft just take hold of it with your fingers and pull it out. Both ends of the sleeve will have a coupling on it different sizes. One size for the pump shaft one size for the motor shaft. If either side is stripped out that is your problem. This will give you a fluxuating pump pressure. By lifting up the transformer (again with the power off) and looking down through the squirrel cage fan you can see the sleeve I am talking about. If both sides look solid then it is OK.

Old 03-09-11, 05:32 PM
O
ok check strainers it had a lil stuff in there but its good now im gonna check that sleeve coupling i really dont wanna take the pump of but i will if i have to im gonna check from the other side first any other ideas any one bye the way thanks for the help

Old 03-09-11, 06:09 PM
W
outsidethebox;
I would not attempt to adjust the oil pressure. This is only done through installing a pressure gauge on the pump. If you get the pressure too high you can blow the seals in the pump. Thus causing you very expensive problems. Usually if the furnace has been running OK and all at once it won't start it is not because of the oil pump pressure needing to be adjusted. Be careful.

Old 03-09-11, 06:20 PM
O
ok well i checked the sleeve everything ok in there i did turn the adjustment screw a bit trying to see if the oil would come out better but it didnt i tried to put it back in the position i found it i think i should be ok.What kind of pressure gauge is used to test that? other than that im stumped guys maybe i should check the oil line for a crink or somethin i did notice a small one on the bend to the tank when i put the new line in but i dont think thats it im just being meticulous because i literally have no idea what it could be

Old 03-09-11, 06:28 PM
W
outsidethebox;
Is this a one line or two line system? If it is a one line system you will need to bleed the line at the bleeder port until you don't get any bubbles coming through the oil as Brady said. It will take at least 2 or 3 full cycles before all the air gets out. Have you already done this?

Old 03-09-11, 07:06 PM
O
i bleed it thru 3 cycles enough to fill a 2liter soda bottle the flow is better but still sputters and bubbles every so often and not enough to keep flame lit i dunno any other ideas guys i have a feeling maybe the oil filter housing may have a leak suckin in air or the line in the tank maybe?? im gonna go get a pressure gauge to check pressure in pump but i think its fine im so frustrated with this stupid thing oh yea its a one line system.

Old 03-09-11, 07:15 PM
W
If you are still getting bubbles you definately have a air leak somewhere. It could be from the gasket at your oil filter housing.

Old 03-09-11, 07:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The filter gasket is a good place to start. If the filter is one with a replaceable element in a can, most also have a screw on top other than the big bolt. Under that screw is also a fiber washer. Make sure it's ok.
Are all fittings in the fuel line flares? They should be. You could have a cracked flare. Check them.
For checking pressure you will need a gauge (at least 200#) with an adaptor to go to 3/16" male flare. Screw it onto the pump/nozzle line. So I can give you the correct pump pressure setting, I'll need the make & model of the heater.
Is the pump a Beckett Clean Cut?

Old 03-09-11, 08:09 PM
O
yea all connections are flared i triple checked them all for cracks and what not lol i got to go get those fittings for the gauge ill do that tomorrow i have a thermo-pride afg- tp burner with a beckett clean cut pump. ill go get those new fiber washer and gasket i think that may be it becuase whenever i mess wit the oil filter the flow of the oil changes thats why i was thinking it was the prob hoping i didnt have to buy a new oil filter can. is there somthing i can maybe use instead of the washers like plumbers tape or something i wont be able to get anything until tommorow. oh yea i appreciate you guys help thanx a million

Old 03-09-11, 08:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why not just get a new filter assembly. If your is old & at all rusty you could be pulling air thru a rust spot. I've seen it more than once. DO NOT use teflon tape. For pipe threaded connections on oil I prefer #2 Permatex, available at any auto supply store.
I need the model number of the furnace, not just the burner.

Old 03-14-11, 10:15 PM
O
hey i changed the oil filter housing a wa-lah lol good flow that was my problem as i suspected i just wanna thank you guy for helping me out i appreciate it very much thank god you guys are here to help. on a side note of my furnace im hearing a clicking noise when fan is in spin any ideas??

Old 03-15-11, 08:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fan Clicking Noise

First thing I'd do is pull the fan assembly & do a visual inspection.
Grasp the motor shaft & check for play in all directions.
Spin the fan by hand & observe for wobble.
If the fan is dirty at all, remove the motor & clean the fan.
Be sure to check EACH blade for tightness.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: