Gas Furnace Blower Motor Replacement

Old 03-11-11, 09:53 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Furnace Blower Motor Replacement

Needing advice:
Our church has a Tech-4 Tru Blue 90 gas furnace and the squirrel cage blower motor needs replacement (squealing). I have taken off the front panel and pulled away the top portion so as to get a glimpse of it, but don't want to go any further without advice.

I am mechanically inclined and would be willing to tackle the job, but I'm not sure if it will be rather easy once I get that front panel off or is it a "bear" of a job and good advice would be to hire a furnace technician?

I would of course have to find a motor for it locally. I have not searched so I don't even know if one is available.

If you have any experience with this furnace I'd appreciate a reply.

Thanks very much!

James5071

Old 03-11-11, 01:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Usually it' a fairly easy job. Rarely, getting the fan off the motor shaft can be difficult and require a mechanical puller from a machine shop or perhaps an auto parts shop.

The motor may just need oiling. If so there are oil ports on both sides of the motor which requires that the fan be disassembled just as if you were replacing the motor.

You can try oiling the motor and reattaching the fan and see if it wants to run properly. Odds are fairly good that it will.

Old 03-11-11, 03:45 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is the fan belt driven? Is so, make sure it's not the belt that is howling. You can disconnect the belt and turn the motor by hand - or dust the belt with corn starch.

Sometimes you can reoil the motor without removing it from the fan volute (housing) if you can reach the oil porrts with a "Zoom Spout"" oil bottle (available at most hardware stores). If you do reoil the motor, put no more than about 5 drops of electric motor oil into each port. 3in1 makes SAE 20 electric motor oil, also available at hardware stores. Don't use any oil not marked "electric motor oil."

Old 03-11-11, 06:36 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Speed 30
Is the fan belt driven? Is so, make sure it's not the belt that is howling. You can disconnect the belt and turn the motor by hand - or dust the belt with corn starch.

Sometimes you can reoil the motor without removing it from the fan volute (housing) if you can reach the oil porrts with a "Zoom Spout"" oil bottle (available at most hardware stores). If you do reoil the motor, put no more than about 5 drops of electric motor oil into each port. 3in1 makes SAE 20 electric motor oil, also available at hardware stores. Don't use any oil not marked "electric motor oil."
And DON'T USE REGULAR 3 IN 1 OIL! Or, you'll soon be changing the motor for sure. Mike is right, it must say electric motor oil.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: