oil burner won't light

Old 03-16-11, 11:21 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
oil burner won't light

I have a honeywell R8182D controller. Last week the reset kicked out and I had to reset it (press it) and the burner fired up. I happened a couple more times but each time I pressed the reset and it fired up. This moring it would not start. I pulled the gun and it looks like it's getting fuel, I also bled the line and I didn't have any air. The blower runs so apparently I'm not getting spark. I think the blower and transformer power come off the same termanals on the controller B1-C2 so if the blower is working it must be the transformer.
Does anyone know what the voltage should be between B1 and C2.
Also is there an easy way to test the transformer (I'm trying not to get belted with high voltage).

Old 03-16-11, 01:03 PM
R
The saga coninues.

I removed the cover containing the photo eye safety switch to insure it was clean and to try to test the transformer. I then turned on the burner but the blower never started and I didn't get to test the transformer as there was no power to them, must be too much light on the photo cell??. I reattached the cover and the burner fired right up (life is good). 2 hours ago the blower would run but the burner would NOT fire, all I did was take the cover off and put it back on? I didn't 'fix' anything so I know this will haunt me another day!!! The good news is it's supposed to be in the 50's for the next few days and I also have a wood stove so it will be uncomfortable at worst...

Old 03-17-11, 04:21 AM
R
out again

The reset had kicked out again this morning, I pressed the reset and the furnace fired right up?? Intermittent problems are hard to find. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-17-11, 04:54 AM
R
again

the furnace just cycled and tripped the reset again WTF...

Old 03-17-11, 07:00 AM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Best advice is to call a pro. The problem could be a weak ignition transformer, improperly adjusted electrodes, a cracked porcelain, etc.

Old 03-17-11, 07:56 AM
R
Thanks, I was thinking transformer but I replaced it two or three years ago (hard failure), suprised it would manfunction that quickly (the previous one lasted 18+ years, but you never know-now a days made in China).
I don't suspect improperly adjusted electrodes as I haven't changed them and it's been working w/out any issues. I also visually inspected for cracks/corrosion in and around the gun mount and everything looks fine.
If it continues I'll spend the $ and replace the transformer. This intermittent stuff is for the birds!

Old 03-22-11, 07:41 AM
R
think it's fixed

Thanks for the help. This one had me puzzled as there isn't much there - transformer and electrodes.
I pulled the gun out again, checked everything again, electrode spacing and insulators for cracks, fuel (plenty). Everything seemed fine.
If the transformer voltage would intermittently jump through an air gap I figured it would blast through any junk or corrosion that was on the electrodes, apparently I was wrong.
I believe the fix was cleaning the connections between the transformer and the electordes. I used emery cloth to clean the electrodes and a wire brush to clean the transformer connections, I also used contact cleaner for both and it's been running fine since Sat night.
Again thanks for all the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: