Armstrong Air ultra V Tech 80 furnace - gas cycles on/off repeatedly

Old 03-24-11, 09:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Armstrong Air ultra V Tech 80 furnace - gas cycles on/off repeatedly

Greetings,

My Armstrong Air ultra V tech 80 has been acting up for about the last month. I had issues in the past with the gas cutting out early and easily fixed it by cleaning the flame sensor but this is different. Here is what happens.

Say I come home from work and turn the heat up, sometimes the furnace kicks on and sometimes it does not. Sometimes I have to turn thermostat to off and then on. So when it starts it does the usual - fan starts, runs for 30 secs, then you can hear a click and the gas burners kick on. They run for about 4 or 5 min and then shut off. The fan continues to run for about 90 seconds. Then it makes that sound like its about to shutoff, like the fan stops for a split second but that click happens and the gas burners kick on. It might do this 4 to 6 times before shutting off completely. So my place never gets toasty warm like it used to. The temp is livable but if I want it really warm in my place I can't really get there unless I power off the heat and back on constantly. So I not sure if its the thermostat, flame sensor or something else. I have tried adjusting the thermostat anticipator which has not helped. I am close to calling a HVAC repair tech but wanted to see if it might be something I can fix myself.

Also, I have had to clean the flame sensor several times this winter, more than years past. One of times I used sandpaper and it wasn't very fine. It slightly chewed up the metal. It is still smooth but you can see scratches. Was wondering if that could be the culprit.

Thanks in advance for and input or ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-11, 04:42 AM
check for a diagnostic flash code viewable through the blower door window while the unit is acting up. this will help us help you. Sounds like you might have an air flow restriction. Check your filter and if you can access it, your evaporator coil "A coil".

Old 03-25-11, 11:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The scratches on the flame sensor are not the problem.

Old 03-25-11, 06:15 PM
Hvactechfw, thank you! You nailed it. The filter was it, running great now. Sometimes (most times) it is something simple.

Thanks again

Old 03-25-11, 06:33 PM
no problem! Wait till you see my bill!