Honeywell control keeps tripping off beckett oil burner

Old 04-02-11, 09:08 PM
X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeywell control keeps tripping off beckett oil burner

I have always gotten excellent advice from doityourself and it would great if you can help with this problem. I have an oil furnace with a Beckett burner and a Honeywell control. The problem is that the burner lights off fine runs for a couple of minutes then trips off. I have to push the reset button on top of the controller to get it to restart which it does if you wait about 30 seconds for the control to reset. I cannot figure out why the control trips off. I know there safetys built into the system and I thought perhaps the firebox was overheating and tripping the control. I removed the control cover and pressed the reset. The burner lit as always ran for a minute or two and tripped off. With an insulated tool I forced the relay closed resulting in the burner lighting off again. I held the relay closed for 30 seconds or so and pushed the reset button. I released the relay and it held just as it was supposed to for a couple of minutes and tripped once again. This proved to me that the firebox was not overheating or the control would not have reset while I was holding the relay. My question is; what is tripping the control off? Do I need to replace the control? Are there any other parts that could be the problem? I did not say so earlier but the fan and control work fine. when the control senses the heat in the plenum the fan kicks on and when the plenum cools the fan kicks off. so my only problem is the burner control tripping the circut. Any suggestion will be appreciated!

Xbank

Old 04-03-11, 07:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Turn the power off at the service switch or breaker, open the ignition transformer, & inspect the cad cell (eye). Check for sooting on or cracks in the lens, cracked wires, & a snug fit in the holder. If all appears to be well you are going to need an ohmmeter.

Old 04-03-11, 08:42 PM
X
Thanks Grady! You know, when I first had this problem my girlfriend said it might be the eye can't see the fire burning. I pulled the burner and we looked in the nozzel/ ignighter area but didn't see an eye of any kind. We assumed this unit did something different. Well now we know where the eye is, and it is a heck of alot easier to flip open the transformer than to pull the burner as I have so many times. Next time I go to the cabin I will check the eye and I am sure that is my whole problem. I will reply back when I get it working. Thanks again Grady!
Xbank

Old 04-09-11, 08:36 AM
X
I flipped open the transformer (less than 1 minute) and sure enough, the photo eye and everything else under there for that matter was covered in a black oily film. I cleaned the film off of everything (5 minutes) especially the photo eye and flipped the transformer closed. I plugged in the furnace, hit the reset one more time and the furnace lit off and has been performing perfectly ever since. Thanks again Grady for your help! This is a fantastic site for great advice!
Xbank

Old 04-09-11, 08:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Xbank,
Glad you have it up & running but we do need to determine what caused the cad cell to become oily & sooted. If you want to persue this please let us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: