Oil Tank Capacity?? 210 or 275? HELP!

Old 12-29-00, 08:15 AM
jsluss
Visiting Guest
Ok, here is the deal. I am a NEW home owner for the first time. I moved in in October. I was told by the previous homeowners the oil guage was broken, no big deal. I immediately had the tank filled. 2 months later i had another filling. It took 234 gallons in just two months. My question is, If a 275 gallon tank is on its side, how much can it really hold? I was informed it could only hold 210 by a different oil company. Any help is appreciated.

PS. Does it seem like i use alot of oil? 3 bedroom split level, baseboard water heat and waterheater built into the furnace.

Thanks,
A frustrated Pennsylvania Guy!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-00, 03:34 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm not a heating contractor...just another faceless homeowner! But 234 gal over a two month period in cold weather is not unreasonable..especially if you have a tankless hot water heater. Your "burn rate" depends on many factors: thermostat setting(s), number of heating zones and how the zones are used, efficiency of your boiler, hot water use, insulation, type windows/storm windows, etc.

No experience with oil tanks on the side so I can't help you there.

Maybe a heating contractor can give you an unbiased opinion. Also, utilities sometimes will do a free "energy audit."

Old 12-29-00, 03:37 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
275 gallon means the tank can hold 275 gallon........This is immeterial anyway. Your are using so much oil due to your tankless hot water. How many people in the home? How much laundry? showers?, etc.Every time one of the preceeding happens you burn oil........