Oil Tank Gauge - Odd size vial?

Old 04-04-11, 01:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil Tank Gauge - Odd size vial?

I'm hoping that someone else has run into this issue.

The vial covering the gauge on top of my oil tank has a large crack in it. The tank and gauge is newer (about 4 years old). I've searched around for a replacement vial and it seems like the ones I found are either too wide (O.E.M. Tank Gauge Replacement Vial - eBay (item 200248146991 end time Apr-07-11 10:03:58 PDT)) or too skinny (Scully Fuel Oil Storage Replacement Vial - eBay (item 200248143091 end time Apr-07-11 09:48:00 PDT)).

The ones above are either 3/4" wide or 1.375" wide.

The one I am looking for is 1" wide and about 3" tall (once screwed in).

The gauge is a combination of the gauge and vent pipe, so its not easy to just replace the entire gauge with a new one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-11, 04:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have found that cover really has nothing to do with it telling you how much oil you have. It just keeps the smell of oil and it from going too far out. As long as it is just a crack I would just take it off and glue it or tape it depends on how bad it is. If it is so bad that you can not glue or tape it then call your boiler place they can help you...
Just a thought..

Old 04-05-11, 05:33 AM
Thanks

Yeah, I was just trying to avoid having to pay $150 is labor for someone to replace a $5 plastic part.

My only concern is oil spillage from the crack during the next fill up. Not sure how much pressure builds up in the tank and is being forced out the air vent (which the gauge is attached to). If it's not a lot of pressure, the tape idea would probably work. But if its a lot, I just don't want the cap to blow off and have oil in my basement.

Old 04-05-11, 05:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What brand is the gauge? If you can't find any manufacturer's markings on the assembly or the vial post a good clear picture of the assembly & just the vial (removed from the assembly). I can likely tell you what brand it is.

Old 04-05-11, 06:27 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The pressure build up in the tank is minimal during a fill, not more than 1-2 psi. Tape will work if all else fails. I used to fill oil tanks that had no vial at all on the gauge with no adverse effects.