older bryant furnace fan speed

Old 12-30-00, 12:48 AM
Visiting Guest
I have an older bryant furnace. I have been told i should change the speed from slower to faster for the winter, how do i do that?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-00, 03:16 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Most units

Most units are set fora lower speed for heat and a higher speed for cooling.Basically,the heated air is less dense and moves just fine at a lower velocity and CFM.If your furnace is operating okay you should not have to increase speed.To increase speed you would have to get into electrical pane of unit and do some rewiring.PDF

Old 12-30-00, 07:56 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi:matrav

I think the question here isn't how to change the fan speed but why change it??? Who told you to change it???

I agree with matrav. If it's set to high or low speed currently, changing it may not make any difference.

However, should you want to locate that switch <if one is provided> look near where the main electrical cord connects to the furnace.

The fan switch may look exactly like a wall light switch or it may be a simple metal toggle switch. You should find on an electrical junction box attached to the furnace behind the front decorative removable panel.

Be advised that a switch to change fan speeds may not be provided. Not all furnaces have this feature nor need it. In that case, without a switch, the unit has a single speed fan motor.

Replacing the motor to obtain a two speed fan would then be the only option. Which, in my opinion, would be a needless expense. <<<I.E. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.>>>