Can I Replace Baseboard Radiators with Verticle Radiators

Old 04-20-11, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Can I Replace Baseboard Radiators with Verticle Radiators

So I just bought my first house and the house has oil heat with baseboard radiators. Many of the units are rusty, dented, or in overall bad condition (however they do all work). I plan on replacing the baseboard covers in many of the rooms, but I was also hoping to free up some of the floor/wall space by changing a few of the baseboard radiators with upright, vertical radiators.

My questions are:

1) Can I replace some of the baseboard radiators with vertical ones?
2) What information do I need to gather to do this project? IE: type of heating system I have, sizes of current radiators/space for new ones, etc.
3) Is this expensive and where should I start looking for parts/labor (if this is something that I cannot replace on my own)?
4) Where is the best place to buy new baseboard covers?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-11, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
HI. You came to the right place for help, and there a lot of posters that will give you info.

First off if we can get some basic info that will help us guide you, then we can further assist you.

Let me answer your questions first.

1) Can I replace some of the baseboard radiators with vertical ones?
Yes

) What information do I need to gather to do this project? IE: type of heating system I have, sizes of current radiators/space for new ones, etc.
It would be helpful if you post the make and model of your boiler with BTU ratings.

Also measure how many feet of heat emmitters you have. This would be the finned part only. Sometimes the covers are longer and there is less finned sections behind them.

How many zones and with circs or zone valves

3) Is this expensive and where should I start looking for parts/labor (if this is something that I cannot replace on my own)?
It will be expensive if you hire someone. If you DIY you will need how to solder, and learn basic boiler operations. Most if not all you can learn here.

4) Where is the best place to buy new baseboard covers?
If you just want new covers any home store has blank sections without element. While your at the home store look at the prices. I believe just a 6ft section of blank covers is like $40. So if your doing alot it can add up.

Also, how are you heating hot water? Through boiler or seperate tank.

but I was also hoping to free up some of the floor/wall space by changing a few of the baseboard radiators with upright, vertical radiators.
Why are you trying to free up floor space?

This will be a start to get you on your way.

Mike NJ

Old 04-22-11, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
More info... to come...

So I will not be able to get all the extra information until after April 29th, because that is when I close on the house.

It is a Newport Boiler, the house is a one zone heating (2,000 sqft). When I said I wanted to free up floor/wall space I am just referring to being able to place furniture up against the walls without covering the baseboard heaters. There are really only 3-4 rooms that I would like to change to upright radiators.

I will try to get the measurements and BTU info out as soon as I can.