Hooking up fan

Old 06-01-11, 04:18 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hooking up fan

I am sure this is a no brainer for an HVAC tech. I am an electronics tech so I just need a bit of info. I bought a house that has a Luxaire acclimate 9v series furnace. It had an old thermostat hooked up with 2 wires(lever type thermostat) I put a programable on it when I moved in last fall and only connected the two wires which were already hooked up to the original. I want to wire the fan so I can run it in the summer to move the cool air out of my basement and upstairs. There is no AC unit attached. I know where to connect another wire to the thermostat, but what terminal do I connect this wire to on the furnace? I was hoping it just said fan on the bank of terminals but there are just a bunch of letters. Can anyone tell me where to tie this wire so I can turn on the fan by itself via the thermostat? Thanks guys.

Old 06-02-11, 05:19 AM
A
Please? Anyone? This can't be that difficult. Thanks

Old 06-02-11, 09:52 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Depends on the furnace. If you have a series of low-voltage terminals with the letters C, Y, G, W, and R then your thermostat should now be connected to W and R. To run the fan on manual you would connect R to G.

If you have other connections then all bets are off.

Old 06-03-11, 08:20 AM
A
Thanks for the reply. yes there are those terminals on the furnace. when you say connect R to G, do i just connect the green wire to G and the green wire to G on the thermostat and it will activate the fan by automatically connecting R to G when I press the fan swich? If I was to connect the R to G on the furnace would the fan turn on right away?

There are other terminals on the furnace as well but there is definitely the G terminal. there are only two wires connected to the furnace and thermostat at this time. thanks again for the reply

Old 06-03-11, 08:56 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by azzkikker
Thanks for the reply. yes there are those terminals on the furnace. when you say connect R to G, do i just connect the green wire to G and the green wire to G on the thermostat and it will activate the fan by automatically connecting R to G when I press the fan swich? If I was to connect the R to G on the furnace would the fan turn on right away?
Yes. oiwekfoSIFHDw4rempiwdjfp

Old 06-03-11, 09:35 AM
A
Thanks Furd--I appreciate your reply.

Old 06-04-11, 10:08 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I read your post to say you only have 2 wires at the tstat. If that is correct and you don't want to pull another set of wires, you could go to the furnace and connect a short wire to the "R & G" and install a switch on the side of the furnace or on the wall. Of course it wouldnt be tstat operated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: