Venting furnace and hot water heater w/ BAYVENT200B - question?

Old 06-14-11, 08:13 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Venting furnace and hot water heater w/ BAYVENT200B - question?

Hello,

I am using a bayvent200b kit on both my Trane XL20i furnace and A.O. Smith Vertex 100 hot water heater.

I installed the two bayvents with one empty joist cavity between them, so they are about 26" apart from each other. My city inspector is telling me that the bayvents must be within 12" of each other or at least 10' apart from each other.

Does this sound right? Is this something specific for the use of a bayvent? Both appliances are power direct vent.

Old 06-14-11, 10:02 AM
W
I am a Trane dealer and we installed hundreds of the BAYVENT200. The 12" requirement is minimum separation not maximum. If they are closer than 12in, the furnace could ingest exhaust from the water heater. Code does not specify this, it is determined by the installation instructions included with your furnace. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question and I'll elaborate.

Good luck
David

Old 06-14-11, 11:02 AM
B
Thanks for the reply. I totally understand what you mean... the separation to avoid recirculation of exhaust gases into the other appliance intake makes perfect sense to me. That's why I tried to keep them at least 2 feet from each other.

I have a 2 story home and right now the kits are installed on the rim joist between the first and second floor. (Furnace and HWT are on main floor.) My city inspector is giving me two options.

Option 1: Move one of my bayvents over 1 joist cavity so they would be closer to each other (within 12 inches of each other). First, I don't think this is a good idea and it's not an option for me anyways... that joist cavity is occupied.

Option 2: Keep them where they are, but remove the bayvent kits and instead run both exhauts up on the outside of the wall 2 feet or both intakes down on the outside of the wall 2 feet to get a vertical separation of 24 inches.

Old 06-14-11, 06:28 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
the city inspector I believe is wrong on this, ask him to show you this code.....

Old 06-15-11, 05:05 AM
B
I will ask him to show me the code.

If I'm forced, I would take option 2... I guess we'll see.

I was reading the bayvent200b instruction manual and this is really all it says regarding using multiple vents.

NOTE: Two or more installations require a minimum separation distance of approximately one inch between vent kits.
Maybe there is some weight to this theory. If the two bayvents are within 12 inches of each other, maybe the thought is that they're too close to ingest each others exhaust gases just like a single bayvent kit doesn't ingest its own exhaust gases. Maybe that's why he said the separation between the two can't exceed 12 inches. He said they need to be within 12 inches or at least 10 feet... which 10 feet seems pretty excessive when a typical intake/exhaust setup only requires 12" separation between intake and exhaust for direct vent 100k BTU appliances.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: