Oil tank possibly leaking

Old 07-26-11, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil tank possibly leaking

I was in the basement of a house I'm interested in buying here in Western New York, and I noticed that under the oil tank it looks like a very dark substance has taken hold there. My guess is that this substance is oil from a leak in the tank(?), but when I touched the dark spot and touched under the tank nothing came up on my fingers so it wasn't fresh oil seeping as far as I could tell.

In a situation like this, what kind of cost might I be looking at in order to have the tank removed, buy a new tank, and then have the new tank installed?

Also, should I be calling a plumbing company to take care of this task? I heard that they are known to do this kind of work?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-11, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hi Hopeful-

Iím just a newbie but I have steel oil tanks in my basement. My understanding is that they can rust from the inside out because water may settle in the bottom (water is heavier than oil).

But I would think that the condition of the tank would look pretty bad on the bottom if it was leaking (I guess you should be able to see holes? Maybe not!) Maybe the stain is from an old tank that leaked and was removed?

I thought you might be interested in reading this web page on another forum here:

Indoor Oil tank removal/replacement - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Good luck!

p.s. they have discussed oil tank removal on the other forum many times I believe