heat pump freeze

Old 01-04-01, 12:44 PM
Visiting Guest
The coils on my Trane xl 1000 heat/air unit have been freezing up. i live in south texas and the lows have been hovering around freezing and heating up to the 50's-60's in the day. the unit seems to be fine electrically and the coils have been cleaned inside and out. the fan has been running constantly trying to put out what little heat it does produce. it also does not seem to be defrosting in the warmer afternoon temps. i have heard that it could be low on freon or a bad reversing valve. if so, what readings should i get when checking the freon? how can i tell if it is the reversing valve? how can i tell if and where there is a leak? I have ran the a/c and it does appear to defrost the coils. I am fairly mechanically inclined, so could i do these repairs myself? could you walk me through? i know im asking alot, but im trying to learn. thanks for the help!

Old 01-04-01, 01:46 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Call a TECH

Have a company come out and run an analysis of your system.If you can not transfer heat from 50 to 60 degree outside air to heat your home a TECH is required.Call a company of the brand name equipment you have.PDF

Old 01-04-01, 03:54 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Your defrost board may be bad or your sensors. Trane uses a demand defrost system controled by two temperature sensing thermistors. Trane also has troubleshooting booklets in all their units. They contain p/t charts & refrigerant flow diaghrams and electrical values. On the outdoor unit, remove the access panel to the electrical box and it should be there. Also you will find one in the air handler. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: