High temp. felt gasket

Old 08-05-11, 04:35 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
High temp. felt gasket

Hi, I am unable to find a furnace supply store that sells felt gasket that is used between the heat exchanger and the draft blower. Does anyone know of a supplier and or another material to replace the felt gasket? TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-11, 07:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
What you want is sheet kaowool. I believe this will work for you. Patriot Supply - 9459

You might also be able to use the soft kaowool strip material.
Patriot Supply - 9459

Use a hefty coat of Never Seez on the metal to hold the kaowool in place while assembling the venter to the heat exchanger.

Old 08-10-11, 04:11 AM
J
Thanks for the reply. I purchased a caulking tube of high temp. red gasket maker(650F) that is used in the automotive business for sealing exhaust manifold leaks. This was recommended at one of the furnace supply companies. I think this type of caulk was previously used by a furnace installer when he mounted the new induced blower because the two white felt gaskets were too thick (1/4inch) when placed on either side of the orifice plate. The gasket material you mentioned would be a better fit only being 1/8 thick. That was the thickness of the original gasket the furnace came with.

Old 08-10-11, 04:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The high temp silicone will work fine but could be a bear to get apart if you ever need to. I would use the kaowool strip myself.

Old 08-27-11, 02:27 PM
J
I ordered the kaowool from Patriot supply and it arrived last week. Your help was greatly appreciated. Now I still have the same original problem that I mentioned in a previous thread awhile back. The induced blower was replaced with a new one that is negative pressure set-up instead of the old positive pressure system. That being said the orifice on the discharge side of bower was removed and a new oriface plate was installed between the heat exchanger where these kaowool gaskets will be used. Now with this negative pressure induced blower the furnace shuts down and will not cycle when there is very strong wind that blows into the vent outside. I should mention that the vent pipe is over 14 feet to the outside north wall. That new oriface plate has a small hole and thus could be starving the blower and not creating enough flow to push against a very strong north wind over such a long distance in the vent pipe. This problem had occurred when the furnace was newly installed and the treadesmen installed a 4 inch TEE to the outside vent to balance the air pressure. This had solved the problem until we needed a new induced blower. So now I'm back to where we satarted 20 years ago with the same furnace shutdown problem caused from a very strong north wind. It may only happen once or twice a year but up here in Canada in the winter that isn't acceptable. So must find a solution. Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks again Grady

CJ

Old 08-27-11, 04:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If your furnace is not piped as a two pipe system, I suggest doing so. That should alleviate your pressure problem. Pictures of the furnace & vent system would be helpful.

Old 10-14-11, 08:42 AM
J
Hi Grady, what do you mean by a two pipe system?

Old 10-14-11, 06:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A two pipe system has, in addition to the exhaust pipe, an intake pipe connected to the furnace. It should be configured as close to the same as the exhaust as practical & MUST go out the same sidewall as does the exhaust. By configured the same I mean the same diameter, length, & number & type of turns. By doing so you apply an equal amount of pressure (wind) against both the intake & exhaust thus cancelling out the effect of the wind against the exhaust.