Furnace doesn't blow air Janitrol/Goodman model GMT140-5

Old 08-10-11, 04:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace doesn't blow air Janitrol/Goodman model GMT140-5

Hello, hoping i will get a bit more concrete information here. My furnace unit, which blows out the A/C and heated air stopped blowing. I thought perhaps it 'froze' up and let it rest for a day. I live in CA it is a hot area but evenings we get cooler weather. I did not think it was being that overtaxed. It did not work after that, yes it has a clean filter etc. I tried just running the 'fan' setting on thermostat, did not blow air out of the ducts. The furnace lights up and gets warm, the A/C brings in cold air.

So i had a friend who is good with mechanical things take a look. He looked at the circuit board, and diagram it appears as though all is fine there. He could feel that the fan motor heats up but nothing happening from that point on. So the motor is getting electricity to it. His conclusion as was mine perhaps just need a new fan motor. Well looking around on these part websites have been interesting. It appears there are blowermotors and fan motors? not quite sure what i would need to order. Please any useful information would be welcomed. The warranty has expired. Thank you. I asked a HVAC serviceman how much it would be to fix if it were the motor, he said $400-600 and wanting $90 just to take a look. It seems i can almost get a new unit instead for a bit more.

Old 08-10-11, 05:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Technically, it is a fan motor but often refered to as a blower motor. A generic motor should cost you less than $200. If the problem is just the capacitor, you might get away for under $20.

I found several online but some have the mounting bracket welded to the motor & others don't. If yours is not, you should be able to use almost any 48 frame, 3/4 hp, 115 volt motor with the correct rotation & shaft size. You will also need a new capactior with the new motor.

Old 08-10-11, 09:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grady,
Thank you so much for replying. How do I know if I just need a new capacitor? The motor gets hot but doesn't turn/blow air.

Old 08-11-11, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
You have a few options:

(1) With the t-stat set to "fan on" give the blower wheel a spin by hand. If the blower seems to run, replace the capacitor.

(2) Replace the capacitor & hope for the best.

(3) Take the capacitor to an electric motor shop. They will likely test it for free & have a replacement if needed. PROBABLY THE BEST OPTION

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: