Advice on furnace brands to replace furnace ruined in flood

Old 09-12-11, 11:01 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Advice on furnace brands to replace furnace ruined in flood

Hello,

I live in the Binghamton, NY area and you probably saw us on the news last week with our record flooding. My house was OK, but at my in-laws house, the basement completely flooded and they had 5 feet of water on the 1st floor. Needless to say a big mess.

They had a natural gas furnace in the basement and now need a new one. My father in law is so overwhelmed with everything so I'm trying to help him with some research. This site has helped me numerous times in the past with my DIY projects, so I immediately thought to come here for some help.

What brands of furnace are good and which ones should he stay away from? What features are worth having and which are a waste of money? What other advice could you all offer?

Thanks so much.

Mark

Old 09-12-11, 02:19 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Mark,

First and foremost it is not so much about the brand as it is the installer. My personal preference is Trane, but putting that aside, how it is installed will make all the difference. The best thing to do is get quotes from at least 3 contractors and ask for references. I think that all of today's features are great except variable capacity systems. 2 stage or 3 stage system are good, but not modulating. Variable speed blowers are money savers!

Old 09-12-11, 04:49 PM
I
He's already talked to a couple different installers and each carry different lines and he's just having a tough time trying to figure it all out. Maybe if all he had to think about was the new furnace it wouldn't be as hard, but considering how much he all of a sudden has on his plate I don't think he knows where or how to start.

What about Ducane or Bryant furnaces? I guess those are 2 of the brands that installers have discussed with him. Are they any good?

Old 09-12-11, 05:11 PM
Bryant is national brand, same as Carrier and Payne. Ducane is off brand made by Lennox, same as Armstrong, Airease, and others.

Old 09-12-11, 05:24 PM
I
Are Bryant and Ducane good furnaces? Would you put them in your house?

Old 09-12-11, 05:49 PM
I have a Bryant, but would not put any Lennox product in my home for multiple reasons, none of which are that they are a bad unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: