Boiler water pressure

Old 09-15-11, 03:14 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Boiler water pressure

I have a Burnham oil fired burner. I have city water. What should be the water pressure reading on my boilers water pressure guage?

Old 09-15-11, 03:48 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
12-15 psi cold.............

Old 09-15-11, 08:36 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not knowing more about your system it would be hard to tell the proper pressure. It is generally based on the height of the system. Water has a weight of 1 PSI for every 2.31 feet. In general you fill a system such that the water reaches the highest point. Pressurizing it beyond that is not necessary. The pressure in the system is based on the weight of the water. I like to keep the cold pressure to the minimum amount possible. It is easier on the boiler and everything else. I have a two story home with radiators. The boiler is in the basement. It is a very old home and the ceilings are high. I would say the distance from the boiler to the top of the highest radiator is about 16 feet. I find that about 10 PSI cold works fine which equates well to the formula.

If the pressure goes up substantially when heated then you possible may not have enough expansion room. I would say it should not go above 20 PSI but I would really like to see it not go that far. Old style expansion tanks were just a tank that had air in it which buffered the expansion. They were quite large and often became water logged and ineffective. Modern expansion tanks have a bladder that prevents this from happening. This is the same concept as a water well pump and storage tank.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: