Furnace & AC replacement - Help!!!!!

Old 09-17-11, 08:58 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace & AC replacement - Help!!!!!

Hello-I am looking to replace my 39 yr old Carrier furnace an AC. I had 4 different contractors give me estimates. 2 contractors (American Standard & Carrier) came up with needing a 100,000 BTU furnace. 2 contractors (Trane & Coleman) came up with needing a 80,000 BTU furnace. When I questioned this difference each contractor said they were correct. The Trane contractor measured each room and took note of each window and door. I was most impressed with the Trane system. He quoted me a Trane XV 95 80,000 btu furnace and a XB13, 2.5 ton -13 seer AC. My question is how do I know what size I actually need and how do I know if I am getting it for a good price. He quoted me $7,116 which also included lining the chimney and he said I needed a building permit. Someone please give me your opinion because I don't know what to do and need to get my new furnace soon as it is getting really cold here in Wisconsin. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 09-17-11, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
No expert...but sounds to me like the Trane guy would be the only one I'd consider. Did he look at the type of windows (double or single pane, hi efficiency glass, etc) and ask about or look at insulation in the attic and walls?

If the others didn't even do the measurements, they are guessing or using a "rule of thumb". Did they also advise you of the need for a permit or the liner? You do have to compare apples to apples...the other units may not have needed a liner if they are not as efficient. At least I think thats the way it works. The Pro's should be around later.

Old 09-17-11, 11:03 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
FYI, Trane and American Standard are the exact same equipment with different names on them.

Old 09-17-11, 05:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
You can do the calculations yourself with the aid of this or a similar program. HVAC Software, HVAC-Calc for Heat Loss, Heat Load Calculations

The cost for this particular program is $49 for your own home. I have used it & was quite satisfied.

Particularly if you have a multi level or spread out home, I'd strongly suggest a variable speed (ECM) fan motor. When running on constant circulation speed they do a remarkable job in keeping the house temperature uniform throughout, use very little electricity, & you won't even know it's on from a draft & sound stand point.

Old 09-17-11, 06:02 PM
How big is the old furnace? How well has it worked for you when we got down to -20˚ last winter? (did it cycle on and off) Tell us about your home.. age and sq ft of it.

Sounds like the Trane dealer is doing their job. (measure each room, and putting a liner in for the water heater)

Did they offer a two stage stat as well?

Old 09-17-11, 07:46 PM
M
The old furnace is dated 1975 it says 150,000 BTU's for input and 120,000 bonnet capacity. Our house is always cold in winter and warm in summer. My monthly budget payment for fuel & electricity has been $255 a month which is crazy because we are never comfortable.

My house is approximately 60 years old. The first floor is 1700 sq ft and the upstairs is 700 sq ft. We have a lot of really big single pane windows. I don't think that there is much insulation in the walls either.

The furnace quoted is a 95 Trane variable speed 2 stage gas furnace. 80K BTU's.

Old 09-18-11, 02:42 AM
The 80k may be in check.

On the cold snap last winter, did the furnace run non-stop or cycled off?

Do you plan on updating the windows anytime soon?

Two stage thermostat?

Old 09-18-11, 05:47 AM
M
The furnace would cycle off last year. I don't think that we will be replacing the windows soon. We put plastic over some of the draftiest ones. The thermostat quoted is a 2H/2C programable. Thank you for helping me!!!

Old 09-18-11, 08:25 AM
If it was cycling on and off the furnace is oversized and w/ that leads to uneven temp in the home.

If you update the windows, the new system will be oversized, and savings will be gone again.. Is the old furnace still working?

Old 09-18-11, 08:41 AM
M
The old furnace still is working. A couple of the contractors were amazed that it still worked. I always properly maintained it. I am just hoping to save money on my monthly utility bills and at least be warm this winter.

Old 09-18-11, 08:54 AM
You may save some money on your gas bill with the newer furnace, and with the two stage stat, will give a longer run time on 1st stage to even out the heat in the home.

Once you get the windows in, you'll see more.. I know I have on our house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: