water block fuel filter

Old 09-19-11, 11:22 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
water block fuel filter

For my Toyostove heater which burns #1 Diesel I have a Goldenrod 465-5 Water Block fuel filter installed at the fuel tank outlet. Here's a picture of what it looks like, copied from manufacturer website: http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ull1/56591.jpg
And here's a picture of mine, installed: http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb153/sgull1/005.jpg
Its been a few years now since the installation, along with a brand new completely clean fuel tank, and I'm considering whether to change the water block element yet. I figure the recommendation is probably to change it seasonally whether it seems to need it or not, but my question is in regard to the appearance of mine at this point from the outside. According to the info on the element, "it filters microscopic particles of rust, sand, dirt, scale and lint, as well as removes water from diesel fuel. It restricts flow of fuel as water is absorbed, signaling that an element change is needed." So far there is no indication of any restriction of flow of fuel to my Toyostove.
Also, there is the wingnut type drain at the bottom of the filter housing, which would allow drainage of fluid from the filter housing.
Questions:
1. If there was any water in the fuel, isn't it supposed to be visible through the clear yellow housing and would be seen down at the bottom of it separated from the fuel, easily drained out with the wingnut drain there?
2. Since there is no water visible as described in question above, can I conclude there is no water in my fuel to worry about, and thus not worry about a filter change at this time?
3. If the filter "absorbs" water, does it just stay in the filter, and does the filter expand or something, which then would cause the fuel flow restriction?
4. When I compare the two pictures of the elements within the housings, it seems that perhaps the element within my housing is slightly expanded compared to the manufacturer website picture. Is that probably the case, or is the appearance of it probably just magnified slightly through the clear yellow housing and fuel?

Any comments/suggestions appreciated. thanks

Old 09-19-11, 08:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
The Goldenrod filters I've used did only a marginal job at best of blocking water. That being said, I suggest you contact the manufacturer since all I can find are retailers.

Old 09-19-11, 08:48 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Yeah I looked at the manufacturer website (Dutton-Lainson) to see if there might be a tech person to contact but only "sales" contacts are available there. That's why I was hoping somebody here on this forum might be able to answer my questions about it. In my location Toyostove heaters are popular and the Goldenrod water block filters are usually the recommended way to go by most installers. I guess the apparent marginal job they do is good enough for the application.

Old 09-19-11, 08:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
With the low flow rate of a Toyostove, the Goldenrod may be fine. I was doing about 10-15 gpm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: