Help with Beckett AFG please.

Old 09-29-11, 12:53 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with Beckett AFG please.

I'm in the middle of a divorce and my buddy is letting me stay at his house that he is selling. No one lived here for a few years, so everything has been a learning experience. I ordered 150 gallons of oil so I can have hot water. I also changed the filter at this time. Shortly thereafter, the problems started. Every once in a while, the breaker would trip. Hit the reset button, and all is good. Then it became more frequent with the breaker popping. A few days ago, I noticed no hot water, so I went down and hit the button once. When it fired off, it was smoking pretty bad. At this point, I changed the electrodes(they were completely shot) and the nozzle. I used the tool that came with the electrodes to set them and verified the gap with a slide rule. The problem was still occurring. I then changed the pump strainer, blew out the fuel line, and bled the pump. Still had the same problem, so I checked pump pressure which is 105. Just put on a new ignitor and still have the same problem. when I open the inspection port, I have what looks like a good orange flame, but a lot of smoke coming out both the inspection port and the chimney. Also, when it starts, the fan comes on, and then there seems to be a few second delay before it lights off. It will produce very heavy smoke when it first starts to light off. Any suggestions? No air settings or nozzle z depth were changed.

Old 09-30-11, 04:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
It sounds like the boiler needs a good cleaning. The electrode tips should be 5/16" above & 1/16" ahead of the nozzle center with a gap of 5/32".
BTW, the flame should not be orange. It should be light yellow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: