Goodman PGB024075-1 Roll Out Switch continually trips

Old 10-03-11, 06:01 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman PGB024075-1 Roll Out Switch continually trips

Hi everyone,

I have a Goodman PGB024075-1 that continually trips the roll out switch. I've verified the inducer is running, the blower is running, and nothing has physically changed about the setup.

The roll out switch is connected to the metal shroud that's right above the three burner vessels. I've watched a full heat cycle and the flames are all blue, but there is some spill out. The flame doesn't roll backwards abruptly, but rather spills from the side of the burners continually, and appears to be heating the shroud and therefore tripping the switch.

Right now all I can think is that there is some air flow problems like a dirty (or potentially cracked ) hx or something else. This is the unit at my mother's house, and she has not had it maintained well, so it's entirely likely something could be restricting air flow. I just have no idea where to look for obstructions.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-11, 08:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, the flame rollout switches are opening for the reasons you describe.

A bad heat exchanger is a possibility, as are other obstructions in the heat exchanger or venting system.

If you aren't able to identify the problem(s) you need to find a repairman who can.

Old 10-03-11, 08:40 AM
D
Before I start tearing pieces off, could dirty burners potentially lead to this? I know they haven't been cleaned in some time, and when I tapped on one of the burners with a flash light I saw some build up flake off.

I'd rather rule out cheap, relatively easy, fixes before admitting defeat and calling someone in. If it was an electrical problem I'd be all ready to fix it.

Old 10-03-11, 10:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dirty burners are unlikely to cause a flame roll out problem.

The problem is, a variety of different things could cause the problem, most of them rather subtle. Tough for a DIYer to diagnose.

Old 10-04-11, 03:56 AM
D
Alright. I appreciate the help. I'll try as much as I can do safely, and if that doesn't remedy it I'll call someone.

Thank you!