Electrical problem with Grimsby Oil furnace

Old 10-03-11, 06:05 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical problem with Grimsby Oil furnace

I have recently noticed a faint electrical humming sound coming from the motor/blower area after the furnace blower and fan have stopped running. this sound never stops unless the main breaker switch is turned off. I've disconnected the thermostat to determine if it is the source of the problem, but no change. Can anyone tell me why I'm getting this humming sound and what can I do to fix it?

Old 10-03-11, 07:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Chances are it's a transformer hum. There's likely a grey box with a red button on the burner. Try to determine if that's where the sound is coming from. If so don't worry about it. The hum is harmless. You might be able to move it slightly & stop the hum but maybe not.

Old 10-04-11, 10:51 AM
J
Thanks for the tip, however, upon further investigation I find that the hum is coming from the conrtrol unit on the side of the Furnace cabinet rather than the motor. It's a White Rodgers 8A05A-101 type unit. Although the furnace and fan seems to start and otherwise function ok..... I'm concerned that the hum is the prelude to something more serious going wrong. Do you think I should replace the control unit entirely or can it be fixed quite easily?

Old 10-04-11, 03:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
That 8A05A-101 is a fan center relay which contains a transformer. Don't worry about the hum. It's not a sign of impending doom or control failure.

Old 10-04-11, 04:09 PM
J
Thanks..... that is great news!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: