Furnace

Old 01-07-01, 07:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have an UltraMax HCS2 high efficency direct vent furnace (DMO Industries/Duo-Matic/Olsen). It typically talks 5-6 ignition sequences to start the burners (3). When viewing the attempts to start the the left burner doesn't quite ignite and the gas shuts-off and the sequence starts again after about a minute or two. It has never failed to start it just takes many attempts. It has a hot surface ignitor and a ribbon burner assembly. Would the burners need cleaning and/or the ignitor repositioned? Appreciate any advise you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-01, 07:53 PM
Visiting Guest
how old is the unit? is the flame sensor dirty? you say it takes 5 or 6 times to light, sound like poor air floor to burners. is it lp or nat gas? need some info.

Old 01-08-01, 02:53 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Here is my QUESTIMATE

The left burner incorporates the burner on sensor.It tells system to complete cycle in a normal fashion.It seems it is not sensing this.If you feel confident,give system a good cleaning.DO NOT CHANGE or adjust or reposition any thing.Take note of ANYTHING you remove and its exact position.REMEMBER AS WE ALWAYS SAY ON THIS FORUM "POWER OFF" BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.PDF

Old 01-08-01, 03:59 PM
Visiting Guest
ULTRAMAX FURNACE

Originally posted by henry
how old is the unit? is the flame sensor dirty? you say it takes 5 or 6 times to light, sound like poor air floor to burners. is it lp or nat gas? need some info.

12 years old. Don't know if the flame sensor is dirty. Maybe it is and this is the problem? Do you mean air FLOW to burners? If so the problem still happens with the front panel removed (open air). Should have mentioned it was natural gas (sorry).

Old 01-08-01, 04:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Re: Here is my QUESTIMATE

Originally posted by PDF
The left burner incorporates the burner on sensor.It tells system to complete cycle in a normal fashion.It seems it is not sensing this.If you feel confident,give system a good cleaning.DO NOT CHANGE or adjust or reposition any thing.Take note of ANYTHING you remove and its exact position.REMEMBER AS WE ALWAYS SAY ON THIS FORUM "POWER OFF" BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.PDF
Thanks. Didn't realize the burner "on" sensor was incorporated in the left burner. I will clean the sensor but not convinced it will fix the problem. When I view the system the left burner doesn't seem to fully ignite and the system shuts down. This would seem to indicate the burner "on" sensor is functioning properly. any other thoughts. Know problem working safely.

Old 01-08-01, 06:13 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Replace the ignitor, sensor is probably OK. Ignitor has probably built up an excess of resistance and is taking to long to glow and the ignition control timing is shuting down the electric signal to the ignitor, thus losing its glow to quickly. The HSI must stay completely red for approx. 7sec. after all the burners are lit. If you have the paperwork on your unit it will give you an exact sequence of ignition timing.

Old 01-09-01, 07:43 PM
R-12guy
Visiting Guest
I Say clean the sensor... wont take you but a few minutes , and I will bet a a dime to a donut hole that that is the problem tooo