Blower motor won't turn off...no heat (manual lighting works)

Old 10-15-11, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blower motor won't turn off...no heat (manual lighting works)

Good morning.

I have a York furnace. The blower motor runs continuously, but it never lights (although the ignitor DOES glow, and if I light the gas with a lighter it works and stays lit until it reaches the appropriate temp set by the thermostat (just replaced the tstat when this started...didn't fix the problem, but I like the new one, so I'm keeping it ) )

the controller board was replaced about 4 years ago (50A65-843) and I believe that's the issue again based upon the fact that although I hear/feel the relays clicking on the board, the diagnostic LED doesn't flash or light at all.

I'd LOVE it if there's another solution as I'd rather not replace the board again...but I will if that will fix the issue.

Any suggestions other than the controller board? Is there any more information I can give that would help in diagnosing the issue?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-11, 08:06 AM
Just a little bit of additional information:

The AC works...it blows cold air, and stops blowing cold air when it reaches the set temp...however, the blower motor continues to run even in the AC setting

Thanks in advance

Old 10-15-11, 09:32 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you have dirty burners, a spider web in the orifice, or your ignitor needs repositioned.

Old 10-15-11, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by hvactechfw View Post
Sounds like you have dirty burners, a spider web in the orifice, or your ignitor needs repositioned.
Thank you for the quick reply...

I thought about something like that....but the spider web would be burnt up by now (since I can light it manually and heat turns on)

The ignitor is a good idea...I'll try that...but do they generally get out of whack like that?

Also, the fact that the controller doesn't have any light lit at all...isn't there supposed to be a light when all is good? I could be mistaken about that of course

Old 10-15-11, 10:33 AM
no, the spider web is in the orifice that the gas comes from (attached to the manifold)

You need to read the notes on the controller to determine if the light should be on.

Old 10-15-11, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by hvactechfw View Post
no, the spider web is in the orifice that the gas comes from (attached to the manifold)

You need to read the notes on the controller to determine if the light should be on.
Ah...ok...got it...thanks...I'll try that.

Old 10-15-11, 01:54 PM
well, I cleaned the burners and the orifice...same problem

I was more patient this time and waited for it to cycle through trying to light three times...it then kicked out an error code that appears to be "system lockout" I will try it again, but what does that really mean? It seems to mean that for safety's sake, it's shutting down and stopping the attempts at restarting...BUT, the blower continues to run...

Old 10-15-11, 06:58 PM
lock out means it failed to ignite

Old 10-15-11, 09:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You haven't described in detail what is happening. Careful observation and reporting of what is happening is the key to providing you with a good diagnosis.

You have the cover off the furnace. Report in detail the sequence of events that occur when you turn the thermostat up. The more accurate and complete your report the better the quality of the diagnosis we can provide.

Old 10-16-11, 06:52 AM
Because the ignitor glows and you can manually light the burners I'm leaning towards the ignitor positioning or your ignitor is not warming up long enough. How long does the ignitor glow for before the gas valve opens?

Old 10-16-11, 10:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by pryan67 View Post
Thank you for the quick reply...

I thought about something like that....but the spider web would be burnt up by now (since I can light it manually and heat turns on)

burner flames don't reach the burner orifices, because the gas jet travels faster than the gas can burn. Because of that, the flames burn on the top of the burner rather than inside the burner or at the burner orifice.

Last edited by hvactechfw; 10-16-11 at 10:08 AM. Reason: removed non beneficial info
Old 10-23-11, 09:42 AM
Well, I replaced the board,and now it ignites...which is a good thing

now the problem is that the limit switch(es) kick in which causes causes the gas to shut off of course...the blower motor doesn't kick on until after that, which just blows cold air.

above the burners is a small motor (not sure of the name) that gets VERY hot (as in I touched it and burnt my finger)...measuring it with a meat thermometer goes well above 220...

I can't help but think that I wired something wrong, but all the wires went to the same place when I replaced the board (they were all labled on both boards)

I'd really love to fix this myself rather than call someone else in...any other suggestions?

Old 10-23-11, 10:01 AM
Further information:

I used a honeywell s9200u1000 to replace the white rogers 50a65-843 that we had...