Carrier furnace: clicking but no ignition

Old 10-18-11, 06:24 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier furnace: clicking but no ignition

I have a Carrier gas furnace, Model No. 58GS125-BB, Series 150, Serial No. 4588A00612.

When the thermostat triggers the furnace (or when I test it by turning the power on), the blower starts up and I can hear and see (with the panel off) the "igniter" clicking and sparking repeatedly. But no gas ignites.

What could be wrong? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-11, 09:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The manual for your furnace is at:

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...t/58gs-1si.pdf

Take the cover off the furnace. Turn the thermostat down to a minimum temperature.

Everything, including the fan should shut off. If it doesn't report anything that stays on such as the fan.

Turn the thermostat up. Carefully observe the sequence of events that occurs and report that here. The quality of the help you get is heavily dependent on the accuracy and completeness of your observations.

Old 10-18-11, 11:51 AM
S
Took off covers. Ambient temperature is 64 degrees. Lowered thermostat to 56 degrees. At thermostat, turned on furnace with fan set to auto. Went downstairs to furnace. Turned on furnace. Wife raised temperature to 66 degrees. After about 5 seconds there was a single, quiet click and the fan (or blower?) started up. About 10 seconds later, the ingiter (sp?) started clicking and I could see the blue sparks it was giving off, but no gas ignited. I smelled no gas but I assume that was normal.

Thank you for your help.

Old 10-18-11, 07:12 PM
S
M irabile dictu

After watching and describing as best I could what I saw, I decided to read directions inside the cover of the furnace. These directions (and some on eHow) told me how to start the furnace.

I'm not sure why but my manual gas valve control was on OFF (as described in p. 9 of the manual you sent). I switched it to ON and then went through the start up procedure. The furnace seemed to start perfectly and has been working since.

However, I don't understand how the valve could have switched to OFF. A couple of weeks ago the furnace was lighting, though admittedly it took a number of clicks for it to fire up. Can the furnace, as some sort of safety feature, switch this manual valve to OFF all by itself?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-11, 07:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is no way the gas valve can turn off by itself. Someone turned it off.

Do you have children? That's just the kind of thing I would have done as a kid!

Also, the fan motor shouldn't turn on as you describe if things are set correctly. Often the fan can be switched on by a "fan" setting at the thermostat or a switch at the furnace. Check for that.

Does the fan shut off when after the burners shut off, or does it run continuously?

Old 10-18-11, 08:08 PM
S
Easy question first: no, yes the fan shuts off when the burners shut off. Am I mistaking some other sound at the beginning for the fans starting up? I don't know.

I cannot explain how the control was switched to OFF. My children are old enough not to do that and they'd tell me if they had. When I raised this question with my wife, she said that maybe the furnace had not in fact gone on when she turned it on briefly a couple of weeks ago. I can't be sure either. This summer we did have a heating and AC guy come out and check out furnace and AC. He did have the cover off the furnace. Could he possibly have turned the control to OFF and not returned it to ON?

This youtube vid sounds like my furnace but the igniter seems to click only once: my gas furnace start up - YouTube

I don't think I'm hearing first off the inducer fan. It seems to me that the fan I'm hearing is too loud for that.