Cracked Gas Furnace Chamber

Old 10-23-11, 12:19 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cracked Gas Furnace Chamber

I have been told I have a cracked chamber in my gas furnace. Its 15-16 yrs old only. Can the chamber be replaced ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-11, 12:27 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It depends if it is available from the manufacturer... It may have a part warranty still...It is called a Heat exchanger...

Old 10-23-11, 03:51 PM
G
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
After 15 years, I sort of doubt that the warranty still applies. But sometimes, if the part has been found defective and due to legalities, they will replace it, at least the parts. Or maybe give you a credit toward a replacement furnace.

Personally, I tend to think they should last indefinitely, unless they are defective in some way.

Afer 15 years, I would lean toward replacement of the whole furnace. On that basis, maybe the manufacturer will give you a bit of a credit?

By the way, don't run that furnace the way it is unless your life insurance is paid up and unless you have burial insurance.

Old 10-23-11, 04:48 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Heat exchanger warranties of 20 or 25 years are fairly common and some are warranted for "life" whatever that may mean. These warranties rarely include labor and that can easily be a couple of hundred dollars or perhaps more. Of course what you end up with is a 15 year old (or whatever) furnace with a new heat exchanger. Since the "average" life expectancy of a furnace is somewhere around 20 years (more or less) I think that total replacement of a 15 year old furnace makes more sense than installing a new heat exchanger.