Delayed ignition

Old 10-27-11, 02:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Delayed ignition

Need a little advice on this one. I have a residential Beckett AFG oil burner approx 20 yrs. old. All the parts are original except for the motor. Replaced this month.So have the electrodes, the nozzle and the air shutter set to factory specs. The boiler has also just been cleaned. The problem is delayed ignition. 85% of the time the ignition works fine. 15% of the time I'm getting delayed ignition and black smoke from the chimney. Can that be a sign of a transformer going bad? Tough to watch those dollars go up the pipe. Thanks JoeA

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-11, 07:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
It most definately could be a transformer going bad but could be a bunch of other things too. Make sure the electrodes are set properly. They should be 5/16 to 7/16" above the nozzle center, 1/16" ahead of the nozzle face, & 5/32" apart at the tips. If you can provide the make & model of the furnace, I'll check the spec'd settings, nozzle, & pump pressure.

If the fuel system & nozzle assembly was not well flushed before installing the new nozzle, it's possible you've partially fouled the nozzle.

Old 10-28-11, 11:53 AM
J
delayed ignition

Thanks for the advice Grady. The boiler is an L30 and I think its made by Slant Fin. As an amateur , my first reaction to sporadic black smoke is electrical. I will fine tune as you recommended. JoeA

Old 10-28-11, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I checked the Beckett web site & found 3 different nozzles listed for the Slant Fin L30. The odd thing was they all have the same initial setup specs. It calls for the air shutter to be set at 9 & the air band at zero. Really odd since the nozzles range from 1.00 to 1.25 GPH. What nozzle do you have installed?

Old 10-28-11, 06:30 PM
J
delayed ignition

I've been using a 1.1 Delevan for the last 19 yrs. Worked fine up to this year when the delay started ocurring. Thanks, JoeA

Old 10-29-11, 08:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 1.10-80[SUP]0[/SUP]W is one of the spec'd nozzles so that should be fine. If you want, I can tell you how to check the ignition transformer but I have to warn you there is HIGH voltage involved which can be dangerous. If you want that infomation, let me know via PM. I don't want to post it on a public forum.

Old 10-30-11, 10:40 AM
J
Transformer check.

Thanks for sticking with me Grady. My volt meter won't read that high and my screwdriver won't tell me if I,m
getting 20,000 or some other variation to get that ignition going. I don't know what the color of the spark should be. It is showing some improvement since I fine tuned it per your suggestion. My adress is ******. Thanks, JoeA

Last edited by Grady; 10-30-11 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Deleted e-mail address