Tempstar 5000 will not light

Old 10-29-11, 10:11 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tempstar 5000 will not light

I have a Tempstar 5000.It has a S8600m module.I get an very rare weak spark from the Ignitor, never enough to fire it. If I cycle the furnace and manually light the pilot at the right time,it lights and heats,then after 5 minutes the flame goes out and blowers run.After a while I hear a change and I supply flame to the pilot and the scenario repeats.I pulled the ignitor cable and tested,it is good.I took a automotive spark plug and grounded to the chassis. 1 Time a got a week spark, then could not get it to spark again. I am guessing a module,but I want to know what else I should be looking for.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-11, 10:36 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
if it is spark but it is weak then you need a new board. I would get the S8610U3009 it has diagnostic LED's

Old 10-29-11, 11:21 AM
R
If it is an occasional spark' is that still the board?

Old 10-29-11, 12:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That Honeywell ignition module is my all time favorite way to light a gas burner. They tend to be VERY reliable. I have one in my furnace that was drowned in a flood. I baked it is a warm oven for a couple of hours and it still continues to work fine 25 years later!

But they can go bad. You should get a continuous fat spark to light the pilot until the pilot is lit, and you aren't.

I'd check the voltage being input to the spark module to be sure it's 24 VAC or thereabouts. If it is, replace the ignition module.