amana air command 80 furnace not working right.

Old 10-29-11, 01:04 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
amana air command 80 furnace not working right.

I need help with why the furnace won't ignight unless i have a house fan facing the furnace?
exhust fan comes on, glow plug lights up, gas is let in but unless the fan is facing the furnace the gas will not light. also, with in 5 min of running it will make some ratteling noice and then teh furnace shuts down. then the cylce repeats...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-11, 01:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The hot surface igniter heats and the gas switches on. Does it light or not? How long does the gas stay on before shutting off?

You get a "B+" grade for describing the sequence of operation in your furnace, with extra credit for coming up with the fan idea --- never heard of that one before!

Old 10-29-11, 02:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Sounds like the area near the ignitor is not getting gas as it should.
The fan is blowing around the gas so it reaches the ignitor.

The most common cause of this is dirty burners &/or crossligher tube.

What think SP?

Old 10-29-11, 02:51 PM
M
sorry for the delay... i am not a PC tech kid, so it has taken me a while to get back to the correct page, so i can message back.
last year it did this and i took an air hose, with low psi and blow out the dust on the gas inlet area (not sure what the tech name of where the gas and the metel round flange where the flames come out is called) it had a lot of dust come out, but this same problem can back within a day. i just ran the fan all winter.
the gas stays on for about 3 sec. or so and then stops if it does not ignite. it does not take much air movement to get it to ignite. 2 yrs ago we hade a problem with it igniting for a couple of seconds and then it would stop. i carefully ran some sand paper on the small metal rod that comes down in front of the flames and that seemed to fix that problem. the rattle/vibration noice seems to get load just before it takes the flame and gas away. the rattle/vibration does not start for at least 2 min after the main blower starts to blow the heated air thru the air ducts.

Old 10-29-11, 04:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you tell from where the noise is coming?

Old 10-29-11, 04:22 PM
M
sounds like a vibration from the fan area// bottom cabnit area under the flame cabnit. (filter area????)

Old 10-29-11, 04:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Without being able to be there to hear & see what's going on all we can do is speculate. You could have some sort of problem with the fan or fan motor.

Old 10-29-11, 06:44 PM
Solve the burner ignition problem first and worry about the rattle after that.

It sounds like you are getting a normal trial for ignition, with the burners sometimes failing to ignite.

That could be a hot surface ignitor that isn't getting hot enough to light the gas or dirty burners or burner orifice not providing a proper gas flow to be lit.

How long does the hot surface ignitor heat up before the gas tunrs on? Describe the appearance of the hot surface ignitior at the time the gas turns on.

What percentage of the time doe the burners fail to ignite?

Old 10-30-11, 07:40 PM
M
OK. long delay, but i was testing a couple more things from all your input.
igniter red hot.. really bright, takes less than 20 sec for the gas valve to release in some gas.
new update.. without the house fan running, the igniter red hot, gas valve opened, lit back with a back flash... the falmes wnet in the 4 holes they were soppose to and also back tward the gas valves. only for a sec and then the furnace shut everything down and recycled and started all over (as if it detected no flame).
whatched again and no flame lit. i shut it off and on and she lit but with a small back flash again and then it stayed light....
could it be the small exhast fan is not drawing the air upward (enough) to draw the gas in to be ignighted and also not keeping the flow going that direction so that is why it will shut down within 5 min?
as long as i have the house fan running teh back flash does not happen....
i want to see about cleaning the gas inlet area what is a good suggestion for this?

Old 10-31-11, 06:35 AM
S
amana 80 command aire SSL

My furnace works properly, lights fan works. Problem I have is it won't shut off. continually runs. I changed thermostat with new one. still does same. Help

Old 10-31-11, 09:12 AM
sfaustin,

Please start a new thread. Trying to deal with multiple problems on a single thread merely causes a lot of confusion.

Old 10-31-11, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by milanlost View Post
new update.. without the house fan running, the igniter red hot, gas valve opened, lit back with a back flash... the falmes wnet in the 4 holes they were soppose to and also back tward the gas valves. only for a sec and then the furnace shut everything down and recycled and started all over (as if it detected no flame).
whatched again and no flame lit. i shut it off and on and she lit but with a small back flash again and then it stayed light....
could it be the small exhast fan is not drawing the air upward (enough) to draw the gas in to be ignighted and also not keeping the flow going that direction so that is why it will shut down within 5 min?
as long as i have the house fan running teh back flash does not happen....
i want to see about cleaning the gas inlet area what is a good suggestion for this?

Hello milanlost,

You made some good observations.

The technical term for what you saw is not back flash but flash back. I say that to admire how closely you came to accfurately charaterizing what you saw.

Natural gas only burns so fast. If the velocity of the gas is fast enough, the gas travels out of the burner orifice, through the burners and burns on top of the burners. If the gas travels too slowly, it lights off the hot surface igniter but then flashes back to the burner orifice to burn.

So you are probably not getting adequate gas pressure to give enough velocity to the gas to burn on top of the burners.

I'd start by removing and cleaning the burners and the brass burner orifices with holes on the burner manifold. Dirty burners or orifices could be the cause of the problem.

The inducer motor is unlikely to be the cause of this problem.