Furnace blower kicking on after cycle

Old 10-29-11, 01:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace blower kicking on after cycle

I have a 25 YO Carrier furnace that seems to have a malfunctioning fan.

It was just had the annual maintenance done this week and we turned it on for the first time this year a few days ago. When it reaches the thermostat temp the fan shuts down and 2 seconds later the fan kicks on for 2 seconds and shuts off. This will happen 2-3 times whenever it cycles

We used the AC all summer without this happening so I'm not sure what is the problem. Im wondering if it's something that the HVAC tech did or just a mere coincidence.

I've seen some similar questions on this and other forums but none with any exactly the same

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-11, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
At 25 years old that furnace most likely has a fan which is controled by temperature. The fan is coming on in response to residual heat in the furnace. Perfectly normal. You could increase the spread between the fan on & fan off settings.

See pg. 4 of this pdf for how to make adjustments:
http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...0s/69-0117.pdf

Old 10-29-11, 02:47 PM
M
But why would it start doing that when it's never happened before? That's why I wonder if it's something the tech did. Maybe they changed that setting?

Wouldn't it kick the fan on until that heat cleared out? Not cycle off and on a few times.

Thank you for your speedy response!

Old 10-29-11, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't speak for what the tech did or did not do since I wasn't there but my guess is he cleaned the fan thus increasing the air flow. Since the fan responds to temperature, the sensor isn't going to "feel" as much heat when the fan is running as it does when the fan is off. You can either call the service company back & tell them about what the fan is doing or try adjusting the fan switch yourself. Do you have the type of control on your furnace as was pictured in the link?

Old 10-31-11, 06:22 AM
M
Thanks again for the response!

We had a freak snow storm blow through our area and knocked out power for most of the weekend so unforutately I haven't been able to take a look at the fan settings.

I'll make sure to take a look tonight!

Thanks again for your time and help!
Matt

Old 11-01-11, 05:20 PM
S
the reason it doesn't happen during the AC season is the fan is controlled thru the thermostat when the cooling runs totally non-temperature controlled.the heating side when running brings the fan on when the heat X heats up a disc closes from the heat and the fan runs to supply heated air.the thermostat satisfies the burner goes off and the fan runs till the disc sees below its ON valve say 160F for examplehere ,but the heat isn't all off the heat X so the fan will cycle till the heat X isn't in need of being cooled..keep in mind the supply fan is the last thing to come ON and the last thing to go OFF on a cycle for heat

Old 11-01-11, 06:04 PM
M
sminker - makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up!

For some reason that I can't explain it's stopped happening. Now it just cycles as it should. I didn't do anything. Should I still have the HVAC techs look? Why would it suddenly stop?

Old 11-20-11, 09:47 AM
M
Doing it again!

For one day it stopped kicking on after cycling. Then we had 4 or 5 warm days and it didn't kick on at all.

Yesterday it kicked on again and the fan kicked on three times after cycling through. So this morning I attempted to change the setting as Grady recommended. I searched high and low but couldn't even find the fan control unit from the .pdf. I must be doing something wrong. I attached a few pictures of the furnace.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to where the control is located?

As always, I am so greatful for the time and advice on this forum!

Thanks again!

Old 11-20-11, 03:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless the "fan off delay" is adjustable on the circuit board, it is not adjustable elsewhere on that furnace.

Old 11-21-11, 08:34 AM
M
Is that clear plastic covering the fan relay?

If it's not adjustable what would you recommend as my next step? Should I just live with it or should I call our HVAC tech? Basically, the annoyance of the fan isn't that big of a deal to me, but if it's warning sign of a bigger problem down the road I'd like to have it fixed now.

Old 11-21-11, 08:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The fan on your old Carrier furnace has a timer on the circuuit board next to the transformer that turns the fan on and off. The circuit board is failing and needs to be replaced ---- it shouldn't cycle on and off as you described.

I'd replace it now since before long it will probably quit and either run the fan all the time or not at all.

Old 11-21-11, 08:53 AM
M
Is that something I can do? It doesn't seem like it's a major ordeal. Just pop the old one out and put the new one in, right? If it's something I can handle, do you know where I could source the board from?

Thanks again!

Old 11-23-11, 01:36 PM
M
I had the HVAC company come out today and take a look at the issue. They confirmed that the board is failing and quoted me $259 to replace it. T the same time the tech said it may be worth replacing the unit all together because it was 25 years old and this issue may be a sign of things to come.

What does anyone here recommend? What would a furnace run me? The current one is 50k BTU and 80% efficient.

Old 11-23-11, 02:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd replace the circuit board, which you can probably buy for $80-100 on ebay or from a Carrier distributor. Get the model and serial number off the rating plate in the burner compartment of the furnace.

The furnace you have is about 75% efficient. If you were to replace it, I'd buy a 90% efficient single stage condensing furnace. There's a reasonable argument for replacing the furnace --- the increased efficiency is real.

But the reasons aren't compelling. If it were mine I'd repair it and replace it on my own timetable.

Old 11-24-11, 06:10 AM
M
Thank you again for the advice. I'm going to replace the circuit board. My wife and I will only own the house for another few years so the return on investment of a newer efficient furnace wouldn't be there. If we wee going to be here for a long time I would replace it.

Have a happy thanksgiving!!

Old 11-28-11, 06:28 AM
M
I ordered the board this morning.

ICM271 - ICM Controls ICM271 - ICM271 Fan Blower Control, Direct OEM Replacement - Dual On/Off Delay Timer

I'm 99.99% sure this is the right board for my model number (58GS050-2). Can someone confirm this?

Thanks!