Trane XE80 Furnace

Old 11-01-11, 03:48 AM
Trane XE80 Furnace

The induction fan comes on but the ignitor will not glow and the furnace won't light. I have been looking online for an ignitor but I cannot find the Trane part number. Also I would like to know how to manually light the furnace until I can get it fixed.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-11, 06:41 AM
Is the control board giving you an error code?

It may not be the ignitor itself, it may be something else that may prevent it from coming on.

Old 11-01-11, 06:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd remove the ignitor and inspect it for a crack, usually easy enough to see if it's there.

Worry about replacing the ignitor after you determine if it's the problem. If it is, buy two so you have one as a spare.

Old 11-01-11, 07:04 AM
the light on the board flashes three times and the limited information in the manual says pressure issue. this has occured at least once the last 2 years and i would clean the flame sensor and the ignitor. the ignitor looks burnt/discolored in the middle. i could send a picture later today.

Old 11-01-11, 07:08 AM
Don't try to clean the ignitor.

If you didn't see a crack in the ignitor, it's unlikely to be the problem.

The diagnostic code suggests that the pressure switch isn't closing, usually because of some defect impairing air flow through the heat exchanger, venting or drainage system.

I'd use an AC voltmeter to determine whether the pressure switch is closing when the inducer motor turns on and comes up to speed. If it isn't, the pressure switch isn't closing when it should.

Old 11-01-11, 07:17 AM
if it is the pressre swithch is that an easy diy fix or should i have an hvac tech come out?

Old 11-01-11, 10:19 AM
Since the pressure switch is the problem about 2% of the time, it's a waste of time to replace it unless the system has been tested by a competent repairman using a manometer designed to read down to 1/10" WC pressure.

Most of the time the problem is in the heat exchanger-vent-drain system. DIYers might be able to identify such a problem, but often they are subtle problems that require judgement and experience to identify.

Concentrate on that and don't waste your time on the pressure switch.

This is like measuring the air pressure on a car tire and discovering the pressure is low. Would you replace the pressure gauge you were using?