Is my t-stat installed right?

Old 11-07-11, 07:49 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Is my t-stat installed right?

Hi all

I just had Goodman GCH95070CXAB furnace installed.
I am pretty sure it is a 2 stage furnace.
Question #1: what exactly is it supposed to do different, being 2 stage? So far, I do not hear any difference. Please, try using layma's terms, I simply need to know what the difference supposed to be.

I also have Honeywell TH6220D t-stat. I was told by installer that it is two stage t-stat for 2 stage furnace.
When it was installed, I flipped through installer instructions for it and found 2 pages of various schematics on how it is supposed to be routed, based on what furnace I have. I brought this to technician attention, he scratched his head, told me it's all color coded, and he'll "connect it the way he always does".
As a result, I am suspicious that t-stat is not properly set for my furnace. Hence, I do not tell any difference in operation vs my 10yo Payne I had before.

Please, advise.

Here's copy of installation pages

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-11, 05:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you can read those pages as posted, you're far better than I. Take good clear pictures of them & post the pictures on photobucket.com or similar site then provide a link here.

Old 11-07-11, 06:05 PM
http://www.thermostatshop.com/manual...n%20manual.pdf

and this is how it's connected :

Old 11-07-11, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Can't say if you have a 2 stage furnace or not, but the wiring should be the same in the furnace as at the stat. It appears w2 has nothing on it. This might be why you are not getting stage 2 heat. Some furnaces do the 2nd stage internally on the main board. It fires the 2nd stage after a set time elapse and the set temp has not been met.
You may not really hear anything different, as a 2nd stage heat will just fire an additional set of burners. (and maybe change the fan speed) IF you see all burners fireing, you might have a single stage furnace.

R = power
G = fan
y or y1 = stage one cool
y2 = stage two (if available) cool
w or w1 = stage one heat
w2 = stage two heat
c = common (used to power the stat. not needed if stat has batteries)

Old 11-07-11, 07:00 PM
prepared this time. here's control panel wiring. DIP switch has #2 on 1 stg side. I do not know if it needs to be on 2 stg side for 2 stage operation.

Old 11-07-11, 07:13 PM
it's a two stager all right..

Old 11-08-11, 04:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would appear to me that the middle switch should be set to 2 stage & there should be a wire on W2 at the stat. I'd need to see the furnace install manual to be sure.

Old 11-08-11, 07:23 AM
well, being generally slow, I only this morning realized that I have installer manual sitting next to furnace.
so yes, DIP switch should be in 2 stg position. unfortunately, it says nothing about the other 2 switches, #1 and 3. I am assuming they should be switched over to the 2 stage side either, but who knows.
also, now I have a problem with what to do.
furnace is OBVIOUSLY running in 1 stage mode. should I switch it to 2 stage on control board, I reckon, I have to have it set for 2 stage on t-stat. unfortunately, that beats me how to.

make things better, apparently, I had this install done by a 1. inexperienced in 2 stage furnaces/t-stats tech and 2. company that vanished right after install. no response to requests to correct this. now, I either have to fix it myself, or have someone else to come over and re-set furnace and t-stat. $$$

even worse concern is that this furnace has condensate flute that has to run at 1/4 inch per foot raise. I questioned this with tech, but it was same in installation manual. tech told me that water has to run back to cool something in furnace and there is drain line connected. but I fear anything they have done now. Also, the way furnace is, he ran a very long run of pvc pipe across garage to the outside wall, easily 20 or so feet. while there is a much shorter distance to the opposite wall, except that you have to run pipe above the garage door. I am afraid, I'll have to re-route that either. Ending with 2 holes in garage wall to be repaired.

Old 11-08-11, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This furnace is the "Cheap" two stage model. They don't use the true two staging..

it's either a fixed 5 minutes or Auto.

So it is wired up right.. I'd go into the t-stat set up menu and make sure the heating cycle is set to 3.

Dipswitch on the board should be set to "AUTO" for Two stage delay, and other to 2 STG.

I noticed there are two sets of wire on everything at the furnace... One for sure is going to your t-stat... WHere are the other going to??

Old 11-08-11, 11:18 AM
Thank you. Finally practical advice.

Jay, correct me if I'm wrong:

1. DIP switch # 2 should be in 2stg position?
2. DIP switches #1 and #3 should be in auto?
3. Is it OK to simply flip that DIP switch to 2 stg? without any changes to t-stat wiring?
4. I know exaCTLY WHAT YOU REFERRING TO IN HEAT CYCLE. i DO NOT REMEMBER IF i HAD IT SET TO 3, i AM PRETTY SURE i DID. sorry for caps, fat fingers.

furnace is sure running much much longer than 5 minutes if it wants to. in the morning, it wakes up about 40 minutes before 5:15 it is set for, and runs non-stop. "in recovery" mode on t-stat. 63/68 degrees settings. during the day it's ok, takes about 20 minutes before start ups. Old Payne did it every 3-4 minutes.

Old 11-08-11, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
Thank you. Finally practical advice.

Jay, correct me if I'm wrong:

1. DIP switch # 2 should be in 2stg position?
2. DIP switches #1 and #3 should be in auto?
Correct on #1 and 2. 3? there is no AUTO on that it's either 100 or 150 sec fan run after the burners shuts off.. Set it to whatever you want that at.

3. Is it OK to simply flip that DIP switch to 2 stg? without any changes to t-stat wiring?
Correct.. When it was on 1. the furnace ran on high stage all the time, not staging between 1st and 2nd.

furnace is sure running much much longer than 5 minutes if it wants to. in the morning, it wakes up about 40 minutes before 5:15 it is set for, and runs non-stop. "in recovery" mode on t-stat. 63/68 degrees settings. during the day it's ok, takes about 20 minutes before start ups. Old Payne did it every 3-4 minutes.
Yes, it's normal for it to run longer.. The old furnace may of been oversized and went into high limit if it was cycling on and off for 20 min.

Old 11-08-11, 12:18 PM
will do it asap when back home. switch to 2 stg on #2.

I do not know where the 2nd set of wires is going to. Maybe it's for a/c? I have furnace sitting on top of a/c heat exchanger.

When I got my hands on install manual for the furnace, it actually had a long page of full description of how stage 2 is supposed to run. Quite different from single stage. Low gas consumption, low blower speed, etc. If that's "cheap" then it's fine with me.

I am also considering re-routing flute pipe. It just looks too long and not necessarily so.

No, the old furnace was cycling every 3-4 minutes, the new one only every 20.

Old 11-08-11, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
From the looks of the terminal strip, only having 5 connection points, it would appear the only way this furnace will operate as a 2 stage is by time & a two stage stat will do you no good at all.
I wonder why there are two red, green, & white wires. Normally there are one of each & two commons (blue) (one to power the stat & the other going to the A/C) along with two yellows (again one to the stat & the other to the A/C).

Old 11-08-11, 05:10 PM
Please trace the wire, and see where it's going to.. As Grady pointed out.. Only two wires are used from the A/C, unless you have a heat pump.

Old 11-08-11, 05:51 PM
flipped DIP switch to 2 stg.
I can DEFINITELY tell it's running 2 stage now. Burners will ignite full blust, and in short period, will tame flames down noticeably.
blower comes up at also lower rpms.
t-stat is set as Jay recommended.

Best i can tell 2nd set of wires is going to a/c unit outside. That one is over 10 yo, I really doubt it's heat pump. Just a big round radiator with fan inside. 2 lines coming out of it with standard recharge connectors.

beats me. I guess, saving $$ on install does cost you more in long run. f-rs that installed it completely ignore me now.

OK, outside is this: Payne PA10JA048-C Central Air Conditioners

thank you all for your help.

Old 11-08-11, 08:22 PM
No need to have all those wires to the A/C hooked up. The only wires need to be hooked at the furnace for the A/C is Y and C. Undo the rest.

Not sure how goodman does the AUTO, It may start 2nd anywhere between 1 and 12 min.

Old 11-09-11, 07:19 AM
thanks a lot, jay.

yeahh... well, we always get what we paid for. speaking of installer.
but I was present there through entire install, he did not run any extra wiring for a/c, it was already there.
I shall undo those wires and test drive a/c. appreciate your advice. gods, things we learn being property owners....

like you said before - it's timed 2 stager. it has 2nd stage delay, 150 seconds, if it does not accomplish what t-stat is calling for in that time, it kicks into stage 1 full power mode. also, yes, it can work with single phase t-stat, there's large sticker on the furnace cover inside saying this.

well, it's too late now. it's done and over. ignorance is power to unscrupulous sellers and installers. who would have known there's true and fake 2 stager. and that is does not need a new t-stat and can run off my g'ol Honeywell fine.

my only worry now is that backward declined flute. knowing - now - who I dealt with, I fear furnace hydrolock. I have seen post somewhere else from American Standard user, that has to purge water out of his furnace routinely, or it will not work.

Old 11-09-11, 05:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The "150 seconds" you refer to should be the blower off delay (also switchable to 100 seconds via "Heat off delay" dip switch). This is the length of time the blower will run after the thermostat shuts down the burner.

From the looks of the switches in your first picture in post #6, it would apppear you can hold off the second stage heat for 5 minutes via the "2[SUP]nd[/SUP] stage delay" dip switch.

Old 11-09-11, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
The "150 seconds" you refer to should be the blower off delay (also switchable to 100 seconds via "Heat off delay" dip switch). This is the length of time the blower will run after the thermostat shuts down the burner.

From the looks of the switches in your first picture in post #6, it would apppear you can hold off the second stage heat for 5 minutes via the "2[SUP]nd[/SUP] stage delay" dip switch.
i do see that.
now, which way is it better? auto or 5 min? our gas bill goes up every winter by 20% or so....
house appears to be quite well sealed. It's around 32-34 outside here past midnight, I have furnace set to 63 at night, and it won't kick in even once.

Old 11-09-11, 06:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure to what the "auto" refers. The installation manual should tell you. It would seem, in the "5 Min." setting, if the stat were not satisfied in 5 minutes (a really short time) the furnace would go into high fire mode.
If you don't have the installation manual, I might be able to get one for you.

Old 11-09-11, 07:03 PM
AUTO will fire off 2nd stage anywhere between 1 and 12 min later than a fixed 5 min.. The manual don't say how this works.

I looked all over the internet and tried to figure out how Goodman does this, and only thing I've seen based on "history" of the last run. How does this work? I don't know... That's why I like the true two stage system, frist stage can run as long as it needs than the cycle on low----high----off... then back up again later on.

I'd suggest leaving it on AUTO.

Old 11-09-11, 07:18 PM
I do have manual and I can not figure it out.

1. If low stage delay period expires, control will shift operation from low stage to high stage
2. if the furnace is operating in low-stage heating mode when t-stat contacts open, circulator remains at low heat speed for selected delay off period
3.if the furnace is in high stage mode when t-stat contacts open, circulator remains at high heat speed for 30 seconds. blower then switches to low heat speed for the remainder of the selected heat off delay period. for example, the selected heat off delay period is 150 seconds. blower operates at high heat for 30 seconds and at low speed 150-30=120 seconds.

that's manual. not much else on subject.