Furnace Troubles

Old 11-07-11, 11:16 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace Troubles

I'm having issues with my furnace. It's an American Standard model number TUE080A936K2 and serial number P022W942G. It gave me some trouble (would not ignite) about a year ago. I disconnected and reconnected the wires/plugs and it worked fine. I'm having the same trouble again and tried the same solution. It worked, but only temporarily. I noticed the igniter would come on and light the burners, but then it would go out after a minute or two. There is a code showing (4 flashes) indicating open high limit device. I replaced both high limit switches on my furnace and I'm still having troubles. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Old 11-07-11, 04:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 10 Posts
gas lights up? then extinguishes itself?

locate your flame sensor, take it out, and clean metal rod with sand paper or even knife.
if it's straight shaped, let it be, if it's bent, bend rod just a hair more in the same direction.

if it helped, be happy, but buy a replacement sensor and have it handy.

sensor in question tells control board that flame is on and running. if it's not working properly, board thinks flame is not burning and turns gas supply off. my old Payne used to flash code 3-4, then cycle like this 3 more times, then go into standby mode.

Old 11-07-11, 06:39 PM
P
Thanks for the quick reply. I cleaned the flame sensor (it was a little dirty), but that didn't do the trick. The igniter itself is not getting hot or glowing. I used to be able to disconnect it and reconnect then it would ignite and the burners would ignite. Right now, I can't even get it to ignite. I will say, the last time I had the igniter working, it ignited the burners then the burners went out within a minute or two.

Old 11-09-11, 08:51 PM
P
Got the furnace fixed. Apparently the issue was my high limit switch. I thought I had replaced it, but it was the roll out switch that I replaced. I told the parts store that I needed the high limit switch and brought in the roll out switch being misinformed and yet they still gave me the wrong part.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: