Furnace cuts off after about 5 minutes

Old 11-11-11, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace cuts off after about 5 minutes

I have a Fan Assisted Combution Gas Furnace.
- Model # GNJ075N12A1, Serial # L9539 19613, Mfg # GNJ075n12A1
Manufactured by: Inter-City Products Corp. Lavergne, TN 37086 (name later changed to International Comfort products Corp).

I can turn the furnace on and it will start up and run about 5 minutes, then I hear a click and the gas burner cuts off but the blower fan continues to run. At this point the igniter comes back on but the gas burners will not start. If I try to restart the furnace at this point (turn it off and back on ), it will not start. However, If I wait about 10 minutes I can restart the furnace and it will run for another 5 or so minutes.
While the gas burners are working I can turn them on and off via the thermostat, but the blower fan will not turn off via the thermostat (the blower will continue to run even if the thermostat is off). In my test I turned the furnace on and off using the switch on the furnace door.

The repair man that I called said I needed a new gas valve (he took no voltage reading), but given the problem, I am not sure he is correct and would like another opinion. Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-11, 07:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace.

Turn the thermostat up to 80 degrees or so and carefully observe the sequence of evets that occur and report them here.

Frankly, it's hard to tell what's happening from the description you posted.

Old 11-12-11, 10:55 AM
I set the thermostat to 80, the temperature in the house is 54.

When I turn the furnace on it goes through the normal start-up sequence: 1. Fan turns on, 2. igniter turns on, 3. blower comes on, 4. burners fire-up (with strong blue flame).

After running about 5 minutes the burners cut off abruptly. The furnace then tries to restart. The ingater will turn on but the burners will not fire-up. After 3 tries the blower turns off, and the furnace will remain off. At this point, if I turn the furnace off and back on, it will try again, the igniter will turn on but the burners will not fire-up.

To restart the furnace, I must wait about 10 minutes and turn the furnace off and back on. It will then go through the normal start-up sequence, fire-up, and run for about 5 minutes.

The fan will continue to run (cool air coming through the floor vents), even if I turn the thermostat off.

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-12-11, 03:30 PM
Ummm. what's with 3-- the blower turning on? The fan that circulates air around the house? It shouldn't turn on until after the burners have been on for a while.

Old 11-26-11, 09:45 PM
Furnace shuts off

Gesmon,
Did you find out what was wrong with your furnace? Mine does the same thing! I have to keep resetting a switch to get it to run but it only runs one short cycle of about 5 minutes then the blower stops but the fan on the furnace continues to run without flames. I have to turn the thermostat off then back on in order for the unit to run again. It's in the basement so this is quite a problem.

Old 11-27-11, 12:02 AM
Please don't piggyback on an old thread.

Start a new thread.

Take the cover off the burner compartment and describe in detail the sequence of events that take place after you turn up the thermostat.