Ducane/Lennox Direct Spark Igntor problem after replacement

Old 11-16-11, 09:13 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ducane/Lennox Direct Spark Igntor problem after replacement

I've been wrestling with a Ducane FPBB100A4B for the past week or two. It's going through the entire cycle (call for heat, inducer blower, pressure switch pass, attempt to spark with gas release) but is not igniting. It'll light if I put fire to it but won't with the direct spark ignitor. So I opened it up and ran it to check for a spark. No spark. I pulled the ignitor from the transformer on the board and held up an insulated screwdriver to the transformer and got an arc. So I figure it must be the ignitor. Tried cleaning the ignitor, no go. Order a new ignitor, plug it in and still having (close to) the same problem. With a new ignitor I'll now get a short spark intermittently (maybe for a second or two when it tries each cycle, every half dozen cycles) but it seems like it's not creating an arc for a long enough time to get the gas lit. I'm assuming the way a direct spark ignitor works is that it's supposed to be creating an arc continuously until the flame sensor tells the board it's lit. Am I wrong to assume the transformer/board is ok just because I got an arc holding a screwdriver to the transformer? Did I just get unlucky and get a bad replacement ignitor? I really want to get this figured out so I don't have to call anyone in - it seems I'm so close it'd be a waste to have to give up now. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-16-11, 10:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The spark and main burner gas are usually only turned on for 3-4 seconds and shut off if the flame sensor fails to detect that the main burners lit. Obviously you wouldn't want to leave the main burner gas running indefinitely if it fails to light.

How long does the spark and gas remain on?

Old 11-16-11, 11:13 PM
K
The spark is very intermittent. When it does light it'll only go for maybe a second or two (max). More often it doesn't spark at all but you'll hear the transformer trying to push it. Gas will stay on for much longer (maybe 5-7 seconds) every time and I can get a spark putting a screwdriver to the transformer everytime as well.

Also, if it helps everytime it fails I get a 2 blink diagnostic code, "gas valve lockout," if it helps. From what I can tell that's just a fairly generic message for a failure to complete the cycle.

Last edited by kazmania; 11-17-11 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-17-11, 08:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Since the spark isn't staying on as long as the gas, I would conclude that you have a bad circuit board/ignition control that needs to be replaced.

Old 11-17-11, 09:51 AM
K
Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just change the board. Hopefully that'll do it. I'll report back and let you know what happened. Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-29-11, 07:29 PM
K
Problem was the board. Ordered a new one, installed it and was good to go. Thanks for the help SeattlePioneer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: