New homeowner needs some furnace help...

Old 11-18-11, 12:37 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New homeowner needs some furnace help...

Hi all, I am a recently new homeowner and just in the past few days I've noticed a problem with my furnace. When I wake up in the morning, I'll notice the air temperature is 70, and the thermostat is set for 72. The furnace will be off. If I go to the house's fuse box and reset the fuse for my furnace, it will turn back on. What could this be? It seems to happen sometime in the middle of the night. I've been reading about possibly bad circuit boards. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Old 11-18-11, 12:53 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I assume when you say 'fuse' you mean 'circuit breaker' - are you seeing the breaker as tripped in the morning?

Old 11-18-11, 01:09 PM
J
yes, sorry mitch, i mean breaker, not the fuse in the furnace. the breaker wasnt tripped, but when i reset it (flipped it off then on), the furnace will restart. very odd.

Old 11-18-11, 01:24 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Not odd at all, your furnace is going into what is called a "soft" lockout. You could likely effect a reset by simply turning the thermostat below the ambient temperature for a few seconds and then turning it back to the desired temperature.

The question is WHY is the furnace going into soft lockout. Does your furnace have a diagnostic flashing lamp code? There will often be a small window on the furnace's service door that will allow you to observe the code. Cheat sheet defining what the various codes mean is usually pasted on the inside of the service panel.

Old 11-18-11, 01:34 PM
J
i will look to see if there is a flashing light. im sure there is. the furnace is probably 15 years old. any ideas on what this could be?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: