inducer motor whining after it was accidently bumped

Old 11-19-11, 10:10 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
inducer motor whining after it was accidently bumped

furnace: Trane XB80

This has absolutely nothing to do with my previous post on my furnace and its other issue, but I was putting one of the covers back on my furnace this evening and was pushing on it to get it back on and it slipped and bumped something. Apparently I must of bumped the inducer motor though it wasnt an extremely brutal "bump" or anything. But I bumped it pretty good. I think I might of hit the round cover that goes on the motor shaft. It wouldnt seem to me that it would of damaged the motor but it then started whining really loud. There is an obvious whine now. I know bearings or bushings can make noise when going out, but would seem to be way too much of a coincidence that is the case here. Its definitely the inducer motor making the noise. I bumped it when it was running, but I didnt cause it to stop or sieze up or anything. It was just a quick bump. Is it possible I knocked some dust into it and maybe I just need to add a little oil on the bearing??? I removed the round plastic cover that goes on the end of the shaft (same thing I believe I bumped) and there was quite a bit of dust clods built up on the inside.

Last edited by ttype86; 11-19-11 at 11:42 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 11-20-11, 12:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You need to describe the sequence of events that occurs after the thermostat is turned up in order and in detail.

Old 11-20-11, 12:24 AM
T
Apparently debris in a motor casing can cause a hum/whine. Also a bent motor shaft can cause a whine. I assumed that but really didnt think I hit it hard enough to bend the shaft on the motor. It turns pretty true, but not perfectly true. Seems unlikely dust debris got in there that easily and could cause the noise to that degree. Ill see if it goes away on its own over next day or so. Hopefully I didnt hit it hard enough and push the shaft into a bearing and damage a bearing. Man that seems stupid, but dont know what else to think. It definitely did not make this noise before I hit it.

Old 11-20-11, 12:32 AM
T
Ill turn the thermostat up and the furnace reads the call for heat. The inducer motor starts running and whines loudly immediately. I unplugged the igniter so the furnace would not ignite and I could listen to the inducer motor only.

Old 11-24-11, 04:47 AM
S
the fins on that squirrel cage need to be clear of dirt shoot some WD-40 into the shaft where it goes into the motor...spin it backward fowards see if it stops rolling or breks hard...as if it was tight....make sure the squirrel isn't touching the shroud cover it's housed in

Old 12-08-11, 02:51 AM
T
The whining noise went away on its own after a couple days. I put a little bit of oil on the shaft. It still whined a bit after, but eventually stopped. Very odd occurrance but just glad it stopped. Ill leave it at that on this one. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: