Rheem Highboy oil Furnace.....no blower

Old 11-20-11, 07:34 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rheem Highboy oil Furnace.....no blower

Wiring diagram for blower motor to Rheem Highboy Furnace
I was having issues with the blower on the furnace not working, it would come on when the furnace heated up to the right tempeture, but it would only turn very slowly then I would hear a "click" and it would shut off, so...me....being me, took the wires from the motor itself, disconnected them, two black wires, and wired it to an old extension cord to test it and see if it would go faster when supplied with electric direct, that didn't work either, so thinking it might be the fan limit controller up on top that sticks in the "burn chamber" and regulates when it is supposed to kick on the blower, im attempting to wire it back in correctly, one problem, I didnt mark where I disconnected them, and forgot where they go, must be getting old cause it was only about 30 minutes since I disconnected them to begin with, question 1, anybody know where to hook the wires back up ? , and question 2, any idea why it wont stay running and kick up to a higher blower speed ? Motor seems fine, cant find anything on the internet for a wiring diagram, or on the furnace for that matter, It is a Rheem Highboy Oil Furnace, unknown year, house was built in 76, model #4225-84ED,
Seriel # AG114F44757697

Thanks,

Sam

Old 11-20-11, 08:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The most common reason a furnace fan wont come up to spped as you describe is that the motor hasn't been lubricated with oil. Do you see oil ports on the motor?

Some fan motor are permanently lubricated and have no way to oil the bearings.

Usually there are two oil ports, and you need to disassemble the fan assembly to get at the inner oil port.

Old 11-20-11, 10:58 AM
S
ok took off the motor, found the lube points put couple drops of oil in, wired it direct, it is a 1ph motor, motor flies right along, figured while I had it out I would pull the fan cage, I can get the cage out, but cant pull the fan out of the cage, dont see any lube points on the fan bearings themselves, but the fan is tougher to turn than the motor pulley, is that normal ?
Washed the fan with a pressure washer (on low), got alot of dirt out of it, its drying now, but doesnt seem any easier to turn

the motor is seperate from the fan and turns the fan with a belt

The belt was pretty tight between the fan and motor would that cause it not to turn at normal speed?

Old 11-20-11, 12:17 PM
S
ok got the motor going and it turns the fan now, motor is NOT hooked up to the furnace itself, it is still direct wired through an extension cord to the wall outlet, only problem is now, the motor will run about 4-5 minutes and then shuts itself off, very hot to the touch, i'm guessing it has a safety switch internally that shuts it down when it gets to hot, any more ideas?

Old 11-20-11, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
A belt drive motor normally doesn't care if there is a load (fan) hooked to it or not as far as overheating. Sounds like your motor has had it.
There is normally a wiring diagram on the inside of the blower compartment door to aid in your connecting a new motor.

Old 11-23-11, 09:08 AM
S
I keep seeing things on the forums for run capacitors, I know nothing about them, are they in the motor or on the furnace itself? I disassembled the motor, but couldnt see anything that resembled a run capacitorinside, nor do I see anythingmounted on the furnace that resembles one. Any way to rebuild one of these small electric motors ? Is it worth the cost to do a rebuild?

Old 11-23-11, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
It is unusual for a belt drive motor to have a capacitor & no, they are not worth rebuilding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: