Oil furnace blower motor replacement

Old 11-23-11, 12:27 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oil furnace blower motor replacement

Noticed my retrofit oil burner fan blower motor (circa 1940-1950) is leaking oil from below one of the gitz cap areas for one of the bearings (just flows on thru when I fill it). Still runs fine and no odd sounds but probably time to replace as it clearly isn't holding any oil and from what I can see inside from one end there's a fair amount of old oil/grease and some sort of seperation of something going on inside. It's a nice classic black motor, the data plate reads as follows (1/2" shaft)...

A-C Motor General Electric
Model 5KH43AB198B
HP 1/6
PH 3
Type KH
RPM 1725
Volts 115
Amp 4.0
Cy 60
GEJ 435
Temp rise 40C
B4

Where do I start to look, have a Grainger catalog but I don't know the basics like starter capacitors, etc. If I thought the blower could take it I'd like to change the pulley to get a touch more airflow thru the exchanger.

Thanks in advance-

Old 11-23-11, 03:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Something is very wrong with that data plate. It says the motor is 3 phase & yet 115 volts. It has to be mis-marked as to the number of phases. It should be 1 phase.

You can call or e-mail Grainger with the information you have & they can likely suggest a replacement. Unless you know in which direction the motor turns (CW or CCW) you will want to get a reversible motor.

Old 11-23-11, 08:56 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
On second look it's PH 1, my mistake. I can certainly check the direction, is it correct to assume there is a capacitor in this thing? I notice Grainger has general purpose motors with/without capacitors. I figured it should but don't know for certain.

Last edited by dsbur; 11-23-11 at 09:39 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 11-24-11, 05:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
When you check the rotation, make note of from which end you are looking. Some motors list their rotation from the shaft end while others list it from the lead end which will be opposite. Also be sure to check the HP. 1/6 HP sounds awfully small. I didn't see a frame size listed on the data plate. Something else to check is the shaft size. Most are 1/2" but sometimes we'll see a 5/8". Again, I suggest calling or e-mailing Grainger.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: