Carrier gas furnace. Blower not working.

Old 11-25-11, 11:04 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier gas furnace. Blower not working.

Hi,

I bought house 2.5 yrs about built in 1996 and it has a Carrier gas furnace 58GFA. I had the ducts cleaned 2 weeks ago. After the cleaning, I there was this burning smell. I attributed it to the cleaning and left it at that. 4 days later, there was a cold snap so I turned up the heat and the burning smell was there. When it did not improve, I called the cleaning company who will be coming to have a look at it tomorrow (Saturday 11/26). I noticed that after the cleaning, the blower was taking longer and longer to kick in. Before, it would take about 2-5 secs after the furnace kicks in. Now it will whine for about 30secs and go off. the blower has quit. What could be the problem? Could the cleaners have caused?

Old 11-25-11, 12:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace. Describe in detaila and in order the sries of events that occur when the thermostat is turned up.

I think this furnace has a standing pilot that remains lit all the time--- is that right?

Old 11-25-11, 04:51 PM
A
Thanks,

this is what happens. The burner kicks in and about a minute later you hear the blower fan whining but nothing happens. The burner runs for about a minute and a half and then shuts off. The inducer blower works all right. Intermittently, you hear the blower fan whining for a few sec (10-16 secs) and then goes off.

You are right the furnace has a standing pilot that remains lit all the time.

Old 11-25-11, 05:37 PM
S
does the fan work off the stat in FAN/ON mode which should be the hi speed for the summer cooling?in cleaning did they just brush off dirt on the motor or spray something you need to find out..it was working before they came and doesn't after they left?have your invoice from the maint call and don't pay for anything else...guaranteed your going to hear "OH your motor is no good you need a new one"get ready

Old 11-25-11, 05:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sorry. A mish mash of details in no particular order is of no help. You must describe the series of events that occur in order and in detail.

Old 01-25-12, 10:14 AM
C
Just had this exact problem and now they have told me the Blower motor is dead.

Every single thing mentioned in this post just happened to me today.

Right now I am waiting for a technician to come by and look at the motor and determine if it was caused by the cleaning yesterday.

They did use air to clean around the motor, but the tech told me that he was "very careful" around the motor.

I am hoping someone can give me a little insight into the motor, cleaning and use of air before the tech gets here and they try to tell me it isn't their issue.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: