Should I replace a 13 yr old Armstrong air sx ultra 80 furnace?

Old 11-26-11, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I replace a 13 yr old Armstrong air sx ultra 80 furnace?

I just had my furnace checked out and the tech indicated that the heat exchange is very low and could go at any time. He recommended me to get a Lennox G60. Does this seem right? Does anyone have any experience with these units? He claimed that this brand is not good and is surprised that it is still working. From what I know, everyone in my condo building has the exact same thing and I haven't heard any complaints. Let me know what you all think. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-11, 03:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
<<I just had my furnace checked out and the tech indicated that the heat exchange is very low and could go at any time. He recommended me to get a Lennox G60. Does this seem right? >>

It's bull

Unfortunately, a very popular business model uses furnace repairman to sell people on buying new equipment whether they need it or not.

You have an 80% efficient furnace. There is an argument that can be made for upgrading to an inherently more efficient furnace. I favor 90% efficient single stage gas condensing furnaces.

Government and contractors often try to sell people on 95% efficient variable input furnaces, but these are more expensive to buy, more difficult and expensive to repair and I don;t recommend them.

If YOU decided you wanted a more efficient furnace, that would be fine. I wouldn't let that repairman make the decision for you.

Old 11-26-11, 06:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I find it interesting the service guy bad mouths Armstrong while pushing Lennox. They are the same company as is Ducane.

Old 11-27-11, 10:44 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
agreed with grady, but from my experience the heat exchanger in your armstrong will most certainly fail and a replacement will fail again after that and it will be the same heat exchanger design as you have now . I have seen Armstrong heat exchangers fail as early as 2 years old. Not that other heat exchangers could not fail that early but I have replaced a LOT of Armstrong heat exchangers...... BUYER BEWARE. I would get multiple quotes from other dealers with other equipment.

Now, your current furnace (according to your service person) has not failed and is still working so use it until that happens and then look at replacement. No need to replace what isnt broken.

Old 11-27-11, 03:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
It has been my experience that 95%+ of the premature equipment failure is due to improper installation.
I don't know of a manufacturer who hasn't at some time had a problem with design or material with some of their equipment but these cases are the minority & the manufacturer generally will step up & take steps to remedy the situation.