Coleman Evcon Gas Forced Air Furnace

Old 11-26-11, 07:50 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Coleman Evcon Gas Forced Air Furnace

I have a Coleman Evcon Gas Forced Air furnace, model#CGU09516, serial#930851231. Recently I have noticed water when I open the front cover, on the flat area (shelf) below all of the innards (beneath the chamber where you can see the burner). I had a furnace guy who came out & replaced the water evacuation unit (next to the furnace) said it was old and maybe backing up. I still found water later , so I called him & he said I must have a cracked heat exchanger & should replace the unit. I thought if that were the case I my Carbon Monoxide detector would go off? I then found that 2 of the hoses had splits in them, so I got new hose & put on today. I still have some water now. ALSO, JUST NOW, the thermostat was set to hold at 67 and I noticed it was 64 in the house, so I shut off the thermostat & shut of then cycled on the furnace switch, came back & turned the thermostat on & the furnace kicked on. It just went from 64 to 66 (even though I have it set at 68) and shut off. Then about a minute later, kicked back on. What gives?? Please tell me there is an easy inexpensive fix Thanks! Jessica

Old 11-26-11, 10:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's fairly clear that you have some deteriorated plumbing in the furnace, and quite likely a drain that is plugged up and preventing condensate from draining out of the furnace. When it gets backed up, it's probably causing the pressure switch to open, shutting off the burners.

That may not be a good repair for a DIYer to make. You would need to identify what is plugged up, which you might find it difficult to do. So it's not something I recommend, but you can try it if you wish.

You have done well to find two cracked hoses. You need to examine all the hoses and piping for any blockages or deterioration. PVC piping may be plugged --- you might need to disconnect and check that.

Another method might be to disconnect and removed the inducer motor, which would provide access to the heat exchanger. You can pour water into that space to see if it is draining out as it should, and track down the cause if it isn't.

Your repairman was really either incompetent or poorly motivated to solve your problem. His reasons for replacing the condensate pump was poor, and it probably was working OK ---plus he failed to find the actual defects you already discovered. I wouldn't have him back, but if you were to call the same company and explain the defects you already found, they might be shamed into sending someone out who will identify the problems properly. A lot of repair outfits have trainees with limited experience backed up by some competent people who can be called upon when needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: