gas floor furnace will not stay on

Old 12-01-11, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas floor furnace will not stay on

my gas floor furnace will not stay on it does a repeating on off cycle all the time it is cold in my house we have it set at 90 and it is only 45 in the house i have replaced my thermostat last year it was doing this and did not fix the problem so i have plug in heaters placed in every room in my house which is 8 rooms and its not able to keep up what do i need to do.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-11, 09:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Please describe the size of the rod in the pilot burner flame. Is it about 1/3" in diameter or about 1/8"? Please describe the appearance of the pilot burner flame.

The usual cause of the problem you describe is a millivolt operating system (1/3" size rod) that has a dirty pilot burner that doesn't put sufficient heat on the pilot generator (the rod) to generate enough electricity to open the gas valve reliably.

You can try shutting off the pilot burner and blowing compressed air, canned air or your breath using a straw into the throat of the pilot burner. Fairly commonly that will clean things enough to get them working for additional months.

But you probably should have the floor furnace maintained by a skilled repairman who will do the maintenance and safety checks that are needed, and often neglected with old floor furnaces.

Also, I'd take the grate off the top of the floor furnace and remove the baffles. Clean the accumulated dust, dirt and crud that has usually accumulated over decades with a vacuum. Reinstall the baffles and grate.

This will allow the air to circulate across the heat exchanger better and improve the efficiency of the furnace.

Old 12-01-11, 10:05 AM
I have taken the vacum to the top part but the rest of the furnace i nhave not tried i have replaced the thremocouple on it. The sad thing is that i have no knowledge of a floor furnace and it was in the house when i bought the house. I will have our local repair man come look at it and tell we what to do with it so i can learn more about it.