Ruud furnace start up and short cycling

Old 12-03-11, 01:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Ruud furnace start up and short cycling

Model UGLH-07EAUER, Silohuett II, installed 1997
The furnace goes through the normal sequence of starting up but when it comes to the burners igniting, 98% of the time only the burner with the ignitor in front of it ignites. After about 8-10 seconds it shuts down and the process restarts. 99% of the time all three burners will ignite on the 2nd go round. I've cleaned the flame sensor but I can't really say that it made a difference. Also the furnace seems to go on and off alot. It will heat for a degree or two, shut down and then immediately come back on again. When the furnace was installed they also put in a White-Rogers thermostat. We have to apply quite a bit of pressure these days to the "temp up button" as it seems to have lost its sensitivity. I am thinking of replacing the thermostat and would like to know if other brands will will with this furnace or if I have to stick with White-Rogers. I'm pretty sure we will have to have the repair guy out next week but would like to know in advance what he might tell me about the furnace woes...Thanks for any info

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-11, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Take one issue at a time.

If you look carefully at the burners, you should see extensions to the burners at each side, which allow the flames to transfer from burner to burner.

The most common reason for the failure of burners to ignite is that the burners are dirty with rust or dirt. You need to take the burners out and clean them with a wire brush, giving particular attention to those burner carryover ports.

Old 12-04-11, 10:16 AM
Thanks Seattle. I'm in the Seattle area too so you know our nights are getting a bit chilly and our days aren't warming up all that much either. I'll try what you suggested.

Old 12-05-11, 08:52 AM
I believe that I have solved my problem. I checked my thermostat on the wall and found that there was one wire that did not have a solid connection. I tightened the screw and have not had a problem since. All of the burners are igniting on the first go round now. I am keeping my fingers crossed.