LP Furnace Flames shooting everywhere

Old 12-04-11, 09:44 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LP Furnace Flames shooting everywhere

Hello,

I have a propane furnace at my cabin. I recently had my propane tank moved. When I go to re-lite the furnace the burners fire up and work for about 30 seconds and then flames start shooting everywhere. When this happens the burners stop firing and it seems that the propane is trying to reach the burners but cant so it flares up before it reaches the burner.

I have bled the line and checked the chimney for obstructions. Prior to moving the propane tank it worked with no problems.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Old 12-04-11, 10:03 PM
R
Is it a new/different tank?

Is the regulator @/on the tank and/or @ the entrance to the cabin interior piping functioning/adjusted properly?

Not sure, but it sounds like it might be too much line pressure. If you shortened the feed line by moving it closer, the pressure from the tank could increased @ the unit.

Have it checked.

Old 12-05-11, 06:20 PM
R
Originally Posted by Hank Deadly
Hello,

burners fire up and work for about 30 seconds and then flames start shooting everywhere. (<- WHoa!) When this happens the burners stop firing (<-GOOD Thing)

Any help would be appreciated!!!!
Have you found a Propane Professional to check this out before you attempt to use it again? Please do so, as it sounds dangerous (IMHO).

Old 12-05-11, 10:25 PM
H
The tank is in the same spot it has been for 20 years. We moved it so my neighbor could move his shed next door. We took it off the base, then moved it back and reconnected the gas line. That is the only thing that was changed.

The tank has 40% capacity left.

The pilot lite is a wide flickering blue/yellow flame.

I used soap & water to check for leaks

Inside the furnace there is a curved tube that comes out of the regulator. This tube connects to 2 square pipes that after about 1/2 foot turn into the burners. It is right where the curved tube connects to the square pipes that the flames shoot out. I have a picture of this.

If it was too much line pressure - wouldnt the regulator in the furnace (i am talking the thing where you turn the pilot light on/off) control that pressure?

It almost seemed to me like it was backdrafting which is why i checked the chimney for obstructions.

My cabin is in a remote location so it will be very hard to get a pro in there! Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: