Carrier 58STA110 heat cycle issue - no flame

Old 12-05-11, 12:36 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier 58STA110 heat cycle issue - no flame

On the call for heat, the inducer motor runs properly for about 15 seconds. Then the Igniter is energized for about 17-seconds.
On the call for ignition there are 2 clicks at once, the yellow LED blinks off, as if power is cut, a couple seconds later the inducer motor resets, as if power was momentairly cut, and continues to run repeating the cycle.
I turned the swith off on the gas valve. The result was that the LED did not blink off and a few seconds received a error code that corresponded with a gas valve swithed off. Believe it was a 3-3 or 3-4, fast-slow blink.

Any thoughts outside of a gas valve replacement?

Old 12-05-11, 01:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Turning off the gas valve will produce a 3-4 diagnostic code, since there will be no gas to ignite.

Unfortunately you description is vague on important points.

Does the ignitor glow white hot?

After the ignitor heats up, the gas should be switched on for the main burner. Does that happen?

You should check to see if 24 VAC is being switched on to turn on the main burner gas after the ignitor heats up.

Old 12-05-11, 02:27 PM
R
The ignitor glows red hot and appears to be working properly. After 17 seconds, the gas valve should be opened, however that is when I get the 2 clicks and blink of the LED as initially described.

My voltmeter is on loan so no I have not checked the voltage to the gas valve yet. That was the reason I moved the gas valve switch to off. Since I received a good error code doing so, I figured voltage is correctly being sent. Tonight I will verify but I'm guessing I will get a momentary voltage spike before the LED blinks.

Old 12-05-11, 02:42 PM
Guessing on a key issue is not a satisfactory diagnostic method.

After the ignitor heats up, the gas valve should be energized with 24 VAC for 3-5 seconds typically. If it isn't you have a bad circuit board.

If it is, you should check for a burned out gas valve and to be sure you have gas to the gas valve.

The odds are high that the circuit board is bad. But again, guessing is not adequate.

Old 12-09-11, 01:33 PM
R
voltage meter check:

I checked the board output with a volt meter 2 ways. As mentioned before, everything in the heat cycle appears to work correctly up to the call for gas. Natural gas is present.

1- with the gas valve switched to the on position, I did not get any voltage reading. Its always 0.0

2- With the gas valve switched off, I have a reading of 25.8 volts for a few seconds before getting the error code on the board. There is a constant 10.9 volts in the off position, before and after the call for gas.

Please advise on additional trouble shooting. If the conclusion is a burned out gas valve, is there another way to verify or simply replace the entire valve?

Thank you!

Old 12-09-11, 02:17 PM
disconnect one of the wires at the gas valve and measure the resistance across the gas valve. An infinite resistance would indicate a burned out gas valve.

Sorry, I don't find your description of what you did to be understandable.

Connect your meter to chassis ground and use the other test lead to check for voltage at the gas valve when the wire is again reconnected. If it's working correctly you should see about 24 VAC switched on after the ignitor has heated up.

Old 12-09-11, 03:03 PM
R
At a 200 ohm setting on the meter, the reading settles down to 0.3-0.4 after a few seconds.

(for 2- in the prior post) I set the unit thermostat to heat. The inducer motor operates correctly, the ignitor heats properly to red hot, then on the call for gas I had the 25.8 volt reading for a few seconds with a test lead on each gas valve terminal/wire connection. The gas valve switch was in the off position.

Checked the valve again, one lead to ground. With the gas valve switch in the on position, there is no voltage. When I change the switch to off I get the correct voltage reading as mentioned in the previous paragraph on the call for gas.

I really appreciate the assistance...

Last edited by rbm007; 12-09-11 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-09-11, 06:55 PM
Sorry. I'm not clearly understanding what is going on, and for that reason I don't want to comment further.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: