Considering Upgrading Oil furnace?

Old 12-08-11, 10:57 AM
Considering Upgrading Oil furnace?

My home is an executive ranch style and it is approximately 3500 square feet of living space. My current oil burner is a Lennox Elite, Model C23-51-1 (AFUE 81.0; Least effective AFUE 78.0;Most effective AFUE 86.7). The system is forced air.

The burner is approximately 15 years old. I have it serviced (cleaned etc) once per year. According to my contractor, the unit is in "fair" condition. I also live in New England.

So, I'm wondering if it makes sense to replace/upgrade the burner or wait until it is no longer operational. However, I have a few questions.

Are today's oil burners that much more efficient? I am spending a significant amount for oil every month. Obviously, if I'd be upgrading in terms of efficiency, it might make upgrading sooner more compelling.

What does a typical oil burner of a comparable size cost to replace?

I should also point out that there are no natural gas lines nearby. So a conversion is not possible.

Thanks in advance-

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-11, 08:14 PM
Upvotes Received: 20
I don't think you'll gain much by replacing the burner in a 15 year old unit.

The best option in your case is to focus on reducing heat loss to begin with - draft proofing and adding attic insulation can go a long way.

If your electricity rate is reasonable (<13 cents per kwh) and the average winter temperature isn't much below 32F, adding a heatpump to the furnace might be a good option. A fossil fuel kit or dual fuel thermostat will be required to switch between the furnace and heatpump.

Old 12-09-11, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure who makes it, but I believe there is a 90%+ efficient oil fired furnace available.