Carrier 58GP, GS gas furnace motor not working properly

Old 12-11-11, 05:18 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier 58GP, GS gas furnace motor not working properly

Hi,

I live in Calgary, Canada. I have Carrier 58GP-125-GA gas heating furnace in my home for about 20 years. The blower motor bearings never have been lubricated. A week ago, the motor did not work any more. I had checked the motor and blower wheel, the motor is good but dirty, and the blower wheel did not run smoothly. As I can not get the motor out of the blower housing, I did only lubricate the one end of the motor (outside end) with SAE 20 motor oil, then furnace works. Today the motor did not work again. This time I got the motor out of the blower housing and cleaned and lubricated other end of the motor (inside end). The blower wheel now does run very smoothly. But I am not sure if I added too much oil or not, the motor only works for about 1 or 2 minutes then stops even the burners are still heating. I checked the motor right away and it was very hot. Later, the motor runs again for 1 or 2 minutes and stops again.

Could you please let me know how to fix it? Calgary has a very cold winter. Thanks. Adam3

Old 12-12-11, 05:40 PM
A
The motor is still working, but not as good as before: it only works about 4 minutes now, then stops even the program is still running.
I recall what I did to clean the motor and try to figure out the reason: while I cleaned the motor, I disassembled the end cover of the motor with 4 botls, when I put the cover back, it may not be in original position. I am not sure if this is a reason that motor does not work properly?

Old 12-12-11, 05:59 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
sounds like you need a new motor..................

Old 12-12-11, 07:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Doing a proper job of oiling the motor, which means completely disassembling the fan assembly so you can oil the inner oil port would be worth trying.

If that doesn't work, it's time for a new motor.

Those motors are supposed to be oiled at least every five years. If they are, they will usually keep working indefinitely.

Old 12-12-11, 08:45 PM
A
Thanks for the comments. I will replace the motor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: