Becket R7184A versus R7184B (or what causes lock-out?)

Old 12-12-11, 06:18 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Becket R7184A versus R7184B (or what causes lock-out?)

My house has two identical Low boy furnaces with becket AFG burners and R7184B primary controls. Two years ago right after I moved in one furnace locked-out so I called service. He worked on it for quite a while and couldn't find anything wrong, but swapped out the R7184B with a R7184A and that worked and it has been working fine every since. Now my other unit (the one with the R71884B) is doing the same thing (locking out after running fine at least 10 hours). Maybe it needs a R7184A also, buy my question is why? Can you think of anything that would cause a system to run fine with a R7184A and not with a R7184B. I have changed the fuel filter, screen, and nozzle. I bleed the line (I don't see ANY air bubbles). I don't really know how to reposition the cad cell. I can call service, but I don't want to give up that easily. What are the primary causes of lock-out?

Old 12-12-11, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
The only difference in the 'A' & 'B' is the 'B' has a valve on delay of 15(?) seconds where the 'A' has no valve on delay. If your fuel pump has no delay built into it, I would not switch to an 'A' control. Fuel pumps with a built in delay have a label on the plug end of the cord where it plugs into the pump. Delay cords will be labeled PD Delay.

Old 12-19-11, 04:32 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Resolved

Thought I would update my post. I replaced the primary control and after three days of operations that seems to fix it. That is the second primary control that wen't bad on me in a few years (on different equipment). I know its all about safety, but that doesn't say much for the reliability of those devices.

Anyway, I upgraded to the R7284U which has a two line digital display instead of just one LED bulb. What a difference. Now you get much better feedback on what the problem is and how your CAD cell is working. I would highly recommend it as the primary control only cost $60. No more than it would have cost to buy another R7184B.

Old 12-19-11, 07:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
The 7184 series has been discontinued & replaced by the 7284 which does have some very nice features. Beckett's GeneSys does the same things except you need an external display module to read the data.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: